Professional Community for Car Dealers, Automotive Marketers and Sales Managers
One of the important components of the most modern engines are the spark plugs. These components are subjected to a lot of stress and should be checked periodically and replaced when needed. These components can be easily replaced with little care and some tools, the method is quick and straightforward but also a methodical procedure.
Replacing them will definitely be a rewarding task an individual can perform. It is a fairly simple and easy task and it takes only 40 minutes for a V8. Follow the directions.
- 3/16 or 5/8 deep socket
- 3? and 6? drive extensions
- Swivel adapter for the driver allows for tight spaces
- Socket Driver
Before starting the work, consult a repair or service manual for the particular model and make of your vehicle.
Before you begin, Make sure that the car engine is turned off.
Grip the plug wire boot without the wire for removing one spark plug wire from one spark plug. Using a spark plug wire puller will be better if available.
The spark plug should not have any oil or dirt around it. If needed, wipe clean the area around the spark plug hole. Be sure not to brush away the oil and dirt from the hole.
For taking out the plug, only use proper tools. The plug has to be turned anti-clockwise to the left. A 5/8 or 13/16 deep socket is the appropriate tool for this task. You may also need a swivel joint and an extension.
Replace the plug with a new one and turn by hand until it is tightened.
For fitting in the new one, use the same tool that was used for taking out the old one.
Connect the spark plug wire to the new plug and make sure it is on.
All plugs have to be replaced by following the steps from 3 to 8.
Tips and Warnings
- Diesel engines do not have spark plugs.
- Consider installing high quality plug wires while you are under the hood.
- Examine the old spark plugs closely when you remove them. They are helpful in giving signs of how the vehicle is running.
- Everything will be kept in order by doing one plug at a time. A plug wire that is crossed means that the vehicle will fire out of order or miss fire.
- When you are at the auto parts store, a spark plug wire puller and a spark plug gaper is needed. Although the gap is already set on new plugs but it would be better to check it. The wire puller helps in saving the wires from getting pulled apart.
- There will be usually the 4 spark plugs in 4-cylinder engines located on top of the engine clearly visible. For 6 or 8-cylinder engines, follow the spark plug wires for locating the plugs.