Professional Community for Car Dealers, Marketing, Advertising and Sales Leaders
The 10 Commandments of the Facebook Hashtag
Written by Naked Lime Marketing
1. Use it in real-time marketing. People can now follow events as they happen on Facebook as they could on Twitter. Be part of the conversation.
2. #Donotmakeyourpostonelonghashtag. See. Reading that was not a good time. More importantly, no one else will use it to join a discussion.
3. Don’t overdo it. First, using too many hashtags in one post will make posts look like gibberish. You’ll also look like you’re spamming multiple conversations.
4. Keep it relevant. Hashtags are supposed to help categorize posts. Much like search engine results, no one wants unrelated junk clogging up the results. Don’t hijack a trending topic if you don’t really want to talk about it.
5. Market across networks. While we don’t advise that businesses post the exact same thing on every social network, Facebook knows it happens. So hashtags from Twitter, Instagram, and other connected networks will be clickable on Facebook.
6. Integrate your campaigns. Now hashtags used in other media campaigns can be just as effective in your Facebook advertising.
7. Reward your followers. According to a study by RadiumOne, 51% of respondents would share product-based hashtags more often if participation was rewarded with discounts or special offers.
8. Monitor your privacy settings. Not so important for public Pages, but on personal profiles, hashtags do not automatically make the post public. It is shared just like a regular post. If you want it to be seen and be searchable by a broader audience, adjust your post settings accordingly.
9. Keep the focus on content. Facebook says hashtag use won’t automatically increase your post distribution, so keep posting engaging content that your audience wants to discuss and share. Hashtags are the latest cherry on top.
10. Watch for posts on the Naked Lime Blog and the ADM Professional Community. Facebook has promised increased functionality and insights, so we’ll make sure you have all the latest news.
See more at the source of this post: http://blog.nakedlime.com/2013/06/the-10-commandments-of-the-facebo...