ADM serves Car Dealers, Automotive Marketing Pros and Internet Sales Managers
Successful service consultants in the automobile industry do the following:
1. They plan their day the night before. They review all appointments and service histories for potential sales opportunities before the customer’s arrival.
2. They show up for work early:
a. Write up “drop off” appointments.
b. Review the day’s staff, and any issues or concerns.
c. Review special ordered parts.
3. They build relationships / trust:
a. Perform a thorough walk around of the vehicle with the customer:
b. Check lights, horn, wipers, measure tires, record damage, etc.
c. Update the customer’s information at write-up if needed (phone number, address, etc.)
d. Document the customer’s service concerns.
e. Supply a maintenance menu and highlight services that are due, sell services.
f. Inform the customer of the free multi-point inspection.
g. Provide the customer with an accurate repair estimate.
h. Address transportation need. (shuttle, rental, loaner)
4. Keep in touch with customers throughout the day:
a. They call the customer throughout the day with the status of the repairs. If a customer is waiting, update every 15 minutes.
b. They call the customer with possible “up sells” and the advantages of them.
c. Get the Service Manager involved with any unsold items.
d. Review repair cost and schedule a pick up time.
e. They make sure the customer’s vehicle is washed and vacuumed before arrival.
5. Upon the customer’s return for pick up:
a. They greet the customer.
b. They walk the customer to the cashier on arrival. They explain all services in detail.
c. Review the invoice and multi-point inspection in detail.
d. Review the customer’s next service that is due.
e. They ask for a completely satisfied survey only after the customer’s expectations have been met.
f. Walk them to their car, shake their hand and thank them for their business.
6. Follow up:
a. Contact the customer within 24 hours of the customer’s service to make sure they were completed satisfied and all their concerns were addressed.
b. Thank the customer again for their continued business.
7. They treat customers with respect and in a courteous professional manner.
8. They help the customer understand that they are partnering with them to keep their car in safe and good operating condition. In turn this will help them get the biggest return on their investment.
9. They ask for advice and counseling when faced with difficult situations.
10. They work together as a team and offer suggestions to improve work load flow through the shop. Together Everyone Accomplishes More!!
There is no quick fix to being the best service consultant in the automotive industry. Everybody is looking for the silver bullet, but there isn’t any. The best service consultants do all of these little things listed above on a consistent basis.
Ultimately, they enjoy the highest levels of financial success and achievement.