Automotive Digital Marketing

Professional Community for Car Dealers, Marketing, Advertising and Sales Leaders

Loading... Be Patient!

How To Transfer A DVLA Registration From One Vehicle To Another

Before transferring a number plate from one vehicle to another, you must have a valid DVLA certificate. This post can throw more light on the matter.

Using the V317 Form By Post

You will have to use the V317 application form to retain or transfer a vehicle registration number.

You may collect this form from the post office or download it from the internet.

Section 2 of the form should be completed and duly signed by the keeper of the donor vehicle (one from whom the registration is being transferred). Section 3 of the form, on the other hand, asks for details of the keeper and the vehicle to whom the registration is being transferred to.

Transfer requirements

The following requirements apply to both the vehicles involved in the transfer. You will require:

  • A vehicle registration certificate (AKA a V5C document, issued by the DVLA, containing information about the keeper and the vehicle the registration certificate pertaining to).

  • Correct status of your tax.

  • Up-to-date MOT (particularly applicable for vehicles older than 3 years).

  • The transfer fee (currently, it’s at £80).

How to pay for the transfer

Postal orders and cheques are accepted for the payment.

Rules And Regulations For Transferring A Plate

Source- Wiki

  • Both the vehicles must exist.

  • Both the vehicles must have their registration with the DVLA.

  • Both the vehicles should be available for inspection if deemed necessary (though this is very rare in occurrence).

  • The donor vehicle must either be taxed or declared SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification).

  • The receiving vehicle must be either taxed for the last five years or have a SORN for the same period of time.

  • A tax application must be made at the same time as the transfer. Any changes done to the V5C form should also be made at the same time.

You should also note that:

  • You can only transfer registrations of vehicles that were subjected to a MOT or GVT test at least one in their life.

  • You cannot transfer registrations from or to a vehicle coming with a Q mark.

Next Steps

Once your application’s approved by the DVLA, the following will happen:

  • The section 2 vehicle will be allocated an age-related registration (unless you’re assigning or transferring another registration of your choice).

  • The section three vehicle may lose its mark unless you apply for retention.

  • V948 authorization to make acrylic plates will be sent.

To know more about a DVLA registration transfer, refer to the infographic below.

[Infographic created by Plates4Less]

Views: 84

Tags: automotive, car, number, plates, private


Oops... You need to stop "Lurking" on ADM and become a more genuine Automotive Professional by completing your membership registration. As a registered ADM Member, you can post comments, publish your own articles (be a star!) and start Forum discussions. Stop being an online "Peeping Tom" and JOIN ADM RIGHT NOW!

Join Automotive Digital Marketing

Automotive Professional Network and Resource Exchange for Car Dealers, Managers, OEM and Marketing Practitioners seeking Best Practices.

ADM Sponsor

Please Consider Automotive Marketing Professional Community Sponsors

ADM Badge


Based On Your Interests...

ADM Consulting, LLC

Onsite/Offsite Combination ADM Consulting, LLC Professional Services
Select the maximum monthly investment you plan to make
Sign up for

Automotive Marketing Tools

Get ADM Toolbar

Click here to take the ADM Member Survey

Getting too many emails from ADM? Click mailbox below to control which types of alerts and updates you are sent......


Top Automotive Marketing Forum Discussions

Share the Best Content w/AutoMarketing Community

© 2019   Created by Ralph Paglia.   Powered by

ADM Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service