Professional Community for Car Dealers, Marketing, Advertising and Sales Leaders
I have interviewed 100’s of applicants for sales over the years and one thing I hear quite a bit is, “I have the gift of gab or I can talk to anyone.” In fact many people think to be a successful salesperson you must dominate the conversation. But the facts is, the successful salesperson knows this to be the opposite. They know the key is to DOMINATE THE LISTENING.
Many of you have heard…“God gave you two ears and one mouth…use them in proportion.”
Top salespeople practice the 70/30 rule, they let the prospect talk 70% of the time while, limited themselves to 30% of the talking.
WHY DO YOU WANT TO DOMINATE THE LISTENING?
1. Builds Trust: no faster way to build trust than listening.
2. Builds Self Esteem: When you sincerely listen, you show the prospect you care. And caring about what they are saying makes one feel important, which raises Self Esteem.
3. Lowers Resistance: reduces tension and defensiveness from customer and the natural nervousness when dealing w/ an slp.
4. Develops Self Discipline: for the listener: You can listen and understand at a rate of 500-600 words per minute. Most people speak on average rate of 125-150 words per minute. So listening is hard. It is hard not to let your mind drift.
HOW DO YOU BECOME A GOOD LISTENER?
1. Listen Attentively: Look the other person in the eye. Eye Contact lets the speaker know you are focused on them.
2. Pause Before Replying: Gives them a chance to reply. Shows you are thoughtful.
3. Ask Questions for Clarification: How do you mean exactly?
4. Paraphrase back to them: Let me see if I understand you correctly…. (Say it back to them)
Practice the art of listening by practicing these four principles and you will establish trust, rapport and gain your prospects respect, which in most cases will make the sale.
Check out my video on this subject: http://youtu.be/kLJxGNm8nwU