From the CARS.gov Website Dealer Section:
* Dealers must be registered to participate in the CARS Program.
* Dealers must provide NHTSA with required documentation to show that a transaction meets all eligibility requirements to be reimbursed for the credit extended to the consumer.
* Dealers may not tell consumers that they are required to pay back the dealer credit amount if the government rejects the CARS transaction.
* Dealers must honor any other advertised rebates or discounts in combination with the credit extended to the customer under the CARS Program.
* Dealers must reduce the sale/lease contract price by the appropriate CARS Allowance of $3500 or $4500 in order to be reimbursed and must certify that they have done so in the application for reimbursement.
* Dealers must disclose to the consumer the dealerÕs best estimate of the scrap value of an eligible trade-in vehicle.
* Dealers must take possession of the trade-in vehicle and certify that they have done so prior to submitting a reimbursement request. Consumers may not turn in the trade-in vehicle later.
* Dealers must transfer the trade-in vehicle to a salvage auction or disposal facility participating in the CARS Program.
* Dealers must disable the engine of the trade-in vehicle prior to transfer to a salvage auction or disposal facility.