Professional Community for Car Dealers, Marketing, Advertising and Sales Leaders
Your tires are said to be the most important safety feature on your car. They are, after all, the only part of your car that actually touches the road. Because they are so important when it comes to being safe when driving, they should be maintained and properly taken care of at all times. Getting a flat tire in the middle of nowhere or having a blowout while driving at a high speed can be catastrophic for both you and your vehicle. The National Highway Travel Safety Association actually estimates that tire problems cause about 11,000 automobile accidents every year. Here are five things that you need to be aware of if you want to improve your automobile safety.
1. Bulging – One of the first things that a tire does when it is starting to go bad is bulge out at the sides. This bulging causes the sidewalls of the tire to expand. It may be time to replace your tires if you see some bulging in the side. These bulges could lead to slow leaks or even blow outs while you are driving that can range from headache inducing to downright dangerous.
2. Tire Pressure – It is important to make sure that your tires are always properly inflated. Both underinflated and overinflated tires can be dangerous to drive on. Every tire has a different ideal PSI to be driven on. Tires naturally lose about one 1 PSI of pressure every month. If you ignore your tires for too long they could become underinflated. You can stop at maintenance shops like Discount Tire Centers near you and they can check your air pressure for you.
3. Tread – Another safety feature on your tire is your tread. Make sure that the tread on your tires hasn’t become to bare. This will lead to your tires having less grip on the road and will make stopping quickly more difficult.
4. Vibration – If your car is vibrating while you are driving on the road this can mean that your tires is more worn down than another. A great way to prevent this is to have your tires rotated on a regular basis.
5. Cracks in the sidewall – This is a huge sign that you need new tires. These cracks are what happens if you let bulges go for too long. If you see cracks on your tires you should take them in to your local tire technician as soon as possible.
These are five important signs that you probably need to take in your tires or have them replaced. Your tires are in fact the most important safety feature on your car. Any problems with your tires should not be taken lightly for you and your family’s safety.