Can Scientific Management practices be applied to automotive retail marketing? Marketing is so often the domain of guessing and wishful thinking. Scientific management refers to the application of the 10 Marketing Laws of Scientific Management, the fundamental principles that each dealer should apply in order to generate a Return On Marketing Investment (ROMI). When analyzing your marketing programs, evaluate your dealership's marketing strategy and tactics using these laws and then prioritize where and how to invest your tactical deployments and budgets to drive sales:
10 Marketing Laws of Scientific Management
1. Choose your target – define who you want to reach, a message to nobody in particular touches nobody
2. Your message should be designed for your target – say it so your target will understand
3. Live up to your promises – don't mislead the online consumer, or you will miss business
4. Identify a consistent message that represents your dealership's mission statement, then put it everywhere
5. Plan your marketing investments based on attainable growth targets - Or, your sales will stay the same
6. Sell where your customers are today (not where they were yesterday or will be tomorrow)
7. Measure whatever your desired outcomes are - showroom and website traffic, leads and phone calls
8. Invest in building a customer portfolio that is based on loyal and profitable relationships - go beyond the sale
9. Create channel partnerships to sell vehicles, service and parts where you can’t get to, but your customers can
10. Ensure that your marketing messages, responses, prices and promotions align with number one through nine
Beyond focusing on the fundamentals listed above, most experienced automotive marketers have learned a few additional lessons along the way about growing sales volumes. I Have worked for both dealerships and suppliers and am familiar with the challenges of hiring dealership marketing partners. Remove the risk and frustration associated with buying digital marketing services by selecting established and reputable suppliers. Look for marketing partners that choose to Under-promise and over-deliver, rather then those that make incredible claims that cannot be substantiated... If you want to build successful, long-term marketing supplier relationships. This supplier selection strategy will help to free your time to focus on success, rather than on finding the next supplier... And, the next one after that in a never ending chase that uses up valuable time that could be more productive, but gets squandered in a never ending series of Quixotic windmill chases!
focus on measurable results
Be completely focused on generating a return from your investment in digital marketing. It’s how we all should evaluate our work, our people, our companies. It’s what we shopuld always want to talk about.
plan, deploy, observe, measure, plan improvements, deploy and learn
The scientific part of scientific management means applying the scientific method. The best approach to marketing is to carefully plan, then build results using a continuous improvement methodology that makes your marketing planning and deployment increasingly more effective over time. You should learn what works and what doesn’t... But, always keep a lookout for errors or poor quality in execution or process that may be preventing a valuable marketing strategy or tactic from achieving it's true potential results.
commitment and ownership - a digital marketing manager
Every dealer should have a digital marketing manager who approaches his/her job like a true scientist. Your digital marketing manager acts as your primary contact for all suppliers and vendors of digital marketing related products and services.
campaign planning based on scientific marketing research
If you’ve ever met a scientist, you know what I mean... deal in facts, not hunches. If you don’t know, find out.
beware of suppliers with secret sauces and magical black boxes
I have never met a dealer or manager thet TRULY likes it when employees and suppliers use knowledge or experience to intimidate other people. Work with suppliers that have no secrets about what they’re working on or how something gets done.
dealership ALWAYS come first
Suppliers are sometimes presented with an opportunity to earn revenue indirectly, e.g., stair step earnbacks on media purchases. Look or suppliers who will share any unforseen savings with you in the form of credits or additional services. Only work with suppliers whose strongest allegiance is to the dealer – never to third party business partners or suppliers.
manage campaigns and budgets by the numbers
Look for suppliers that hire creative people that realize your success is measured in numbers. Your digital marketing suppliers should supply your dealership with regular, detailed, quantitative reports (that are easy-to-use and understand) on the results of your digital marketing investments.
The best way to learn about growing sales, share, and profit with scientific management?
That’s easy. Get to work putting scientific management into practice by immediately stopping all marketing and advertisement investments that you don't receive measurable results from... Don't ever spend another dollar on campaigns or marketing services that you have not established relevant and accurate measurements with which you can evaluate and make adjustments.
The Automotive Digital Marketing (ADM)
Professional Community website serves Car Dealers and their management teams, Internet Sales Managers, BDC Managers, Marketing Managers, OEM Interactive Media and eBusiness Managers, Automotive Advertising Practitioners, Web Site Managers, Developers and Designers, Automotive CRM, Lead Management and Information Technology Suppliers as an online exchange for strategy, tactics, best practices, files, resources and contacts within the auto industry.
- Currently, ADM has over 900 active members
- There have been over 1751 photos uploaded and available for use by members
- There have been over 325 music tracks uploaded
- Members have uploaded over 440 videos to share
- There have been over 154 discussions started and ongoing
- Members have created more than 172 blog posts within their ADM provided blog space
If you are interested in visiting and perhaps joining the Automotive Digital Marketing Professional Community, go to: http://www.AutomotiveDigitalMarketing.com