The good folks of Microsoft Tag prepared a neat infographic to illustrate the world of mobile marketing and why this (mobile) channel is so important. Here are the highlights:
- Of the world’s 4 billion mobile phones in use, 1.08 billion (27%) are smartphones and 3.05 billion (75%) are SMS enabled. By 2014, mobile Internet should take over desktop Internet usage.
- 86% of mobile Internet users are using their devices while watching TV.
- 29% of mobile users areopen to scanning a mobile tag to get coupons.
- 91% of mobile Internet access is to socilize, compared to 79% on desktops.
- People use their mobile phones for Games (61%), weather (55%), maps/search (50%),social networking (49%), music (42%), news (36%), entertainment (33%), dining (25%), video (21%).
- Over 1/3 of Facebook’s 600 million+ user base uses Facebook Mobile. Twitter has 165 million users – 50% of them use Twitter Mobile.
- More than 200 million YouTube views occur on mobile devices per day
And here’s how all this comes together in an infographic: