Automotive Digital Marketing ProCom

Professional Community for Car Dealers, Automotive Marketers and Sales Managers

Loading... Be Patient!
Here's a nice thorny one:  What's the most basic presence that a car dealer should have on youtube and what would the pinnacle of youtube success look like for dealers?

Views: 90

Reply to This

Replies to This ADM Discussion

Well I don`t know............... I kinda like You Tube; http://www.youtube.com/user/JohnWayne00?feature=mhee

lol......

Here is an example of a new model getting big hits.  It has about 18,000 more than the KBB Corolla review that comes up on the same search.  I put this Corolla up when it first came out.  That made a huge difference as well:

I no longer work at this dealer, so its still valuable to them because I am not seen in the background.  I usually make my videos straight forward without much flair.  I'm going for expertise and function more than excitement and thrill.  Researchers are looking for hidden value and extra information to consider.  That is what I like to deliver.

Jason Manning

I agree with Ralph on the "basic" presence, I would add that one element of the "Pinnacle" scenario he mentions, automated syndication, is a pretty simple add and well worth the relatively small cost/effort. I understand that the "slideshow" videos of our inventory do not compare well, but I do not think they should be discounted completely as they have significant branding & SEO value. Once the set up is made, videos from your website will populate Youtube and the others without cost as they hit your site. Cheap add to a basic presence.

Jason's videos are pretty darn good!...but as he says, "From start to finish, I spend about 60 minutes on each video." There is definately a huge quality trade off, no question. An alternative if you do not have the resources to spend one hour per vid might be to auto load from your sites canned slideshow as you will spend from start to finish about zero minutes on each (zero dollars too). As a side note, Dealer.com's narration of the slideshow vids they produce do not sound computer generated, a big plus for anyone using them. I would like to have a 2012 Tundra in my driveway but for now my 20 year old Toyota Pickup will have to do me. Much can be said for making the best from what you have to work with.

Good videos Jason, well planed and executed.

Regarding New vehicle videos versus Used vehicle videos on YouTube... I have seen plenty of success for both, but far more "Not Much Action" results for both new and used vehicles.  This discussion kind of reminds me of Ebay.  While there are hundreds of dealers who sell thousands of vehicles a month using Ebay exclusively, there are still plenty of dealers who are convinced that Ebay does not work, despite glaring facts and proof otherwise.  What it really comes down to is this... Just because someone tries to use YouTube to market and promote Used Cars and fails miserably at it does NOT prove that YouTube does not work for selling used cars, it just proves that the person who failed to make it work did exactly that... Failed.

I have been to Ebay based used car dealerships located in industrial parks that made it a challenge just to find their physical location, that were continuously and profitably selling between 300 to 450 used cars every month on Ebay.  So, when a franchised used car dealer says "Ebay does not work" what you should translate that into is "I have failed in my attempts to sell used cars on Ebay".

Likewise, there are sooooo many cases, including Ken Beam in New Jersey, of dealers doing exceptionally well using YouTube to market, promote and sell used cars that when somebody suggests that YouTube does not work well for selling used vehicles, you should likewise translate those statements into something like "I have failed in my attempts to sell used cars using YouTube".

Never confuse somebody's inability to perform with a failure of strategy!

Great point Ralph!  As with any new (social) media, it seems that the lesson is effort = reward.  So don't take it on unless you are sure you have the time and the resource to do it properly.  A half hearted attempt will be a waste of time - and is likely to damage your brand.  Given the evidence in support of these new media though, it also seems that it's only a matter of time before every dealer will be dragged - even if kicking and screaming - into the new world if they want to be a player - or will they?  It's an interesting debate.  In the next few years, will dealers who don't want to get involved in social media still be in business?  They might argue they could still be a local hero for whom social media and the internet is less relevant.  They'd have to be brave souls, bucking the trend though!
Extremely well put Ralph.

The White House uses video for information.  Just look at the expressions on their faces (especially Hillary's LOL) and know the power of information when it is pertinent to someone:

Videos are power for selling.  They have to be done right with high quality and pertinent information.  They take Time, Talent and Effort.

Jason Manning

Dealers need to advertise on Youtube.  They spend most of there time loading videos no-one watches.  Youtube advertising is cheap and can be done with precision targeting.  And, it should be joined at the hip with Facebook marketing. 

It's worth mentioning, a lot can be done without spending a dime on ads, too.

I know, I'm biased, I own a marketing company.

Wow.............. now this is a very interesting thread. Lot of great points here. Hey Jason that`s a really good clip of that 2011 Corolla too..........

As for New or Used vehicles........... hell I say shoot `em all!~ You never know who`s going to stumble upon them................

Nothing wrong with adding a little flair & excitement too! Everyone has their own style!

In regards to "Views"........ I really don`t care.........why??? Because it only takes the right "One" view!
I use these clips consistently on our sites with plenty of success;
http://www.douglasvw.com/cars/used-2010-Volkswagen-Jetta_SportWagen...

Like I said, I really enjoyed this post! Thanks Donna!

Ken-

RSS

ADMPC is a Network for Car Dealers, Automotive Marketing, Advertising and Management Pros sharing Digital Strategies and Execution Tactics.

Please Consider Automotive Marketing Professional Community Sponsors

ADM Badge

Loading…

Based On Your Interests...

Onsite/Offsite Combination ADM Consulting & Coaching
Select the maximum amount you want to pay each month
$ USD

Automotive Marketing Tools

Get ADM Toolbar

Click here to take the ADM Member Survey

Google Automotive Network Targeted Placement Ads

Getting too many emails from ADM? Click mailbox below to control which types of alerts and updates you are sent......

Instagram

© 2014   Created by Ralph Paglia.

ADM Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service