Automotive Digital Marketing Professional Community

ADM serves Car Dealers, Automotive Marketing Pros and Internet Sales Managers

Loading... Be Patient!
I see that Toyota has now stopped sales of their recalled models.  This is after they allowed them to continue stating that "new" vehicles weren't effected, but acknowledging that at sometime in the future they may have this problem.  Wtf!  Are you kidding, can someone say huge lawsuit in the future for manufacturer and dealers that sold the vehicles between the time the recall was announced, and when sales where halted.  It shows an extreme irresponsiblilty on the both Toyota, and the dealers that continued to sell the vehicles.  In addition a problem with the NTSB.  If there is a safety recall announced and there is no known solution to the problem.  The NTSB has to be allowed to step in and say stop until the solution can be figured out.  I'm not for big government, however when the manufacturer and retailer continue to sell defective vehicles it's not good.  Just waiting for the news story to come out about someone plowing into a group of people because their throttle stuck.  Further more, IMO, Toyota's lack of acting quick to stop the sale of these vehicles will be what causes their market share to deteriorate.  People will be flocking to dump their vehicles, and Toyota won't be able to rebound from the fall out. 

We're not talking about "hey, eventually your radio will stop working, but we'll have the solution figured out before that."

Would love to hear others opinion about this.

Views: 22

Reply to This

Replies to This ADM Discussion

@David
You can start to read what consumers are saying on these links: http://www.toyotarecall.org/repairs/ and http://www.toyotarecall.org/feedback/consumer-experience/ both of which are from a site we created to help consumers during this difficult time of being a Toyota owner.

The traffic to the site has been picking up and we have been funneling recall service requests to local Toyota dealers so they can contact them and help them with their questions and service needs.
Brian,
Thank you for the links...Toyota has a train wreck in the waiting. I can't believe a company would put themselves at risk like they did, and not pull the plug on sales sooner. I would like to hear from Toyota sales people about how they justified selling a car that has a huge safety problem? Consumers have the power of the Internet/social networking sites, and have the ability to really cripple any business...even Toyota! Toyota dealers should have immediately got together and boycotted selling those models. That would've gave them points in the eyes of the consumer. Fortunately it's going to come down to the dealer that sold them the vehicle is who they will be pissed with.
Hey David,

Great post, this is like watching a race were the leader has an eight lap advantage and just blew out all the tires with no spare in sight. I guess this is what the other automakers were waiting for. I do agree that someone should have stepped in sooner. I see vehicles sold in the last couple of months coming back in, and having to be taken back. I can't even imagine the loss to the local dealer and the hurt this is going to give to Toyota.

What has me confused and I keep saying WHAT?? This is supposed to be one of the best running vehicles of all time, and it's going to be brought down by a GAS PEDAL! They can design anything, but can't fix a gas pedal problem? Why don't they just take another design from another maker as they have done in the past and be done with it. Why wait till this is a huge problem with no solution as of now to stop selling the vehicles.

The difference between other products and the auto industry is other products must stop sales at once because they are designed and built and cannot be repaired. The auto industry has repair facilities and are expected to repair flaws, so they are allowed to continue to sell vehicles with the thought that they can fix whatever is wrong. The problem here is they waited too long to tell dealers there was no repair as of yet. No one thought that a gas pedal was going to be such a big deal. I really don't blame the dealers as much as I do Toyota corp.
Yesterday when I saw this on the news I said to myself.. Thank god I am in a Hyundai store!
I work for a dealership with multiple franchises, one of which is Toyota. My family owns Toyotas, among other makes, for their personal vehicles.

Watching the national news, you see different approaches with how the news was presented. Some were trying to help consumers, some just trying to bash the manufacturer. Part of the big picture is that a certain part is required to fix the problem-- the part was used in vehicles manufactured in North America (not all Toyotas are, and not all vehicles of any given model are made in North America, and not all of those built here contain the part that is linked to the documented problem cases). And my understanding is that the component concerned may have been produced for Toyota by an American supplier.

As I see it, this is a pro-active move by Toyota which was not made after dozens, hundreds, or thousands of complaints, like some other manufacturers' famous recalls of the past. There are still vehicles of all the named Toyota models that are not affected by the stop-sale, because they are not included in the list of VINs affected by that particular questionable component.

Certain things have to be done to rectify the problem at the root, and Toyota appears to be doing those things. So far, they do seem to be getting information down the pipeline as well as they can, while dealing with a lot of negative press. They have set up a toll-free line for consumers and have been responsive. They have established a list of VINs, so owners can do a quick preliminary check and prepare themselves, or recover their peace of mind. They have published instructions for drivers on what to do if the accelerator pedal should ever stick (good advice not just for Toyota owners, but any driver).

Let's not forget how many times the crash test ratings and consumer reviews of the past came back with 5 stars for Toyota models up and down the line.

I have every confidence that Toyota will continue to take care of this properly and come out a winner because of it.
Natalie,
I haven't read a report yet that bashes Toyota. The reports I've read have been focused around what Toyota is reporting to the press. What made my blood boil was the report in Tuesday's USA Today, that Toyota was still selling these vehicles. It didn't say anything negative about Toyota, just that they are still manufacturing and selling vehicles that are under the recall. The recall that they have no solution for as of right now. Your comment: "As I see it, this is a pro-active move by Toyota which was not made after dozens, hundreds, or thousands of complaints, like some other manufacturers' famous recalls of the past."
They have put themselves into a reactive position. If they had a solution and did the recall before all these complaints, ok. With no solution to the problem, issuing the recall, and halting sales/production right off the bat. They would've been viewed more positive about the handling of this.
Working for a Toyota dealership I'm sure you're aware that this problem isn't a new issue for Toyota. From the AP: In March of 2007, Toyota started getting reports of gas pedals being slow to rise after being depressed for acceleration. Engineers fixed the problem in the Tundra pickup early in 2008. Also, how would you justify selling one of these vehicles to a customer with this problem? "Hey, don't worry, well figure it out, and btw your vehicle is rated 5 stars in the crash test. So if something happens, you'll probably be fine. What about that pedestrian that you were trying to stop for and your pedal stuck, yeah..your auto insurance has medical coverage for that. Enjoy your new car!"
If I read your post correctly, you are incorrect. Toyota has completely stopped sale of these vehicles, regardless of what USA Today states. The only ones being sold are those which do not include the gas pedal that Toyota has determined is at fault.

They are still selling other vehicles, ones not subject to this issue, but have completely halted sale of with that pedal.
Tuesday is when Toyota announced that they were stopping the sales of the recalled vehicles. Tuesdays edition of the paper would be from Monday's info about it. My problem is with the fact that Toyota continued selling those vehicles after announcing the recall.
My biggest problem with this whole issue is the drivers lack of skill behind the wheel. I have read a bunch of stories by people who's accelerator stuck and they accelerated up to 80 and 90 Mph. WHY NOT PUT THE CAR IN NEUTRAL? Seriously put it in neutral and shut it down.

Other than that, why isn't the media blowing up the pay offs that Toyota had paid out before this all happened? They have hidden undesirable reports in the past, and it FINALLY caught up to them...

I think Toyota should have taken steps a LONG time ago within the dealerships so that it didn't need to hit the media. If they would have fixed the cars sitting on the lots and sent out letters to their customers stating something like, "There was a potential defect and your car MIGHT be affected, please call..."

The MAIN thing is they needed to act by their own free-will, not be forced by the Government to recall the vehicles. If they would have started their recall on their own, not wait... They waited too long, now it has killed their image.

Just my $.02
As far as I know, they didn't know what, exactly, the problem was... this problem is pretty much only for the last 2 years models. Since they now know, they are cranking up production of the part that needs switched, and are sending it out to the dealerships soon to fix all of the affected vehicles.

And do you really think that it wouldn't have been a big deal in the media, no matter how Toyota approached it?
Toyota PR on this was a let down for me, but most people I talk to barely seem concerned or aware of the original comments or lack of action... Checkered Flag Automotive Group and Pasch Consulting Group (PCG) provide excellent social media solutions. Good Selling! DTG

RSS

Social Network for Car Dealers, Automotive Marketing, Advertising and Sales Management Professionals sharing Internet strategies and tactics

Please Consider Automotive Marketing Professional Community Sponsors

ADM Badge

Loading…

Automotive Marketing Tools

Get ADM Toolbar

Click here to take the ADM Member Survey

ADM Events

April 2014
SMTWTFS

Getting too many emails from ADM? Click mailbox below to control which types of alerts and updates you are sent......

Instagram

© 2014   Created by Ralph Paglia.

ADM Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service