Automotive Digital Marketing ProCom

Professional Community for Car Dealers, Automotive Marketers and Sales Managers

Loading... Be Patient!

Just saw this press release:  http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/sister-technologies-granted...  Congratulations to them.  Getting a Patent is a long process and they obviously did a great deal of work to make it happen.

I am wondering what, if anything, this means for the other companies out there that use the same process of taking dealer or third party produced photos and then merging them with voice overs, background music and scrolling text and then encoding that file into a suitable video format for internet consumption.

Anyone have a take on this?

Views: 197

Reply to This

Replies to This ADM Discussion

If there is one thing that i admire the most about Ken Beam's videos, it is that they are GENUINE VIDEOS! As much as I understand the concepts of a scalable solution and cost efficiencies, the fact remains that taking still images and then using "Pan and Zoom" digital effects to create the illusion of a video is exactly what it sounds like... FAKE VIDEO! This would not be so bad if it were used exclusively on the dealer's inventory sites, but when you push what amounts to special effects fraud to a video hosting site, such as YouTube, you risk positioning your dealership as the perpetrators of something that is patently NOT what it claims to be... Still Images are NOT Video despite what anybody's patent lawyer tries to claim they are!  So, legal is one thing, right and wrong are quite another.  I do not recommend fake videos for dealers and have yet to meet a single car buyer who is impressed or otherwise positively impacted by fake videos being positioned as actual videos by a dealer.

Well thank you Mr. Paglia,

You know I`ve been watching some of the pan-&-zoom clips on You Tube....... gosh....... when you go from dealer to dealer on, they`re all more or less the same. Any dealer out there can do this stuff.......... & it`s relatively inexpensive....... really. Geez........... get yourself a camera for $200, start a You Tube account, jump in front of the camera & let `er fly & you`re in-like-flyn!~ Seriously, you don`t have to know Flash & do some of the more involved things that I tend to do...... you just need to get off your ass for an hour or so, grab a buddy or gal(lately my girlfriend has been taking a trip to the dealership to assist me once a week.....as a matter of fact, she`s even in this one; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aye16FPBPKo) & get outside & cut a few clips. You can use these clips very creatively in your digital advertising mix.

When you really think about it, even if you`re "on the Floor", you`re not prospecting 100% of your day nor are you talking to customers 100% of the day. So why wouldn`t you just want to take a shot at something a little different & see if you can drum up some business utilizing some other mechanism besides just the phone or waiting "for the door to swing open"??? Heck I`d be willing to bet that there isn`t many Sales Managers out there that wouldn`t allow you to try something different like this. Even if it`s only for an hour a day....... could pay off big time for you.

See when I started selling cars 23 years ago, obviously we never had all of the really cool technology out there like we have today. Boy if I was just on the floor again, you`d better believe I`d be devising ways to connect with my customers shooting clips from my phone, texting, QR codes the whole nine yards! The technology is there & is simple.......... embrace it & use it to your advantage. I use to work construction before I sold cars, roofing, siding.... & we did it the old fashion way..... with a hammer! lol! (We didn`t have air guns back then!)

So when ever I got out of my truck, the first thing I did was grab my tool bag, then climbed up on the roof to start my day.  You gotta have the tools to do the job right? Well now YOU have to have a "Tool-bag" in this digital world that we live in...... so grab you camera, your phone & your lap top & get up on that "roof" & start your day!

Listen I said this before & I`ll say it again...... Video is NOT the Holy Grail to cars sales, nor is Facebook or any other form of social media, however, it does have it`s place & when used appropriately can be highly effective.

Thanks again for the nice words Ralph....

Ken-

Ralph,

The latest SiSTeR Technologies production platform includes full motion video integrated into their "stitched picture" productions sourced from an IPad2 and Iphone or any exisiting video file.  The resulting enhanced video production is the best of both worlds -- a scalable production sourced from existing photo and audio assets coupled with personalized videos recorded by the sales consultant or selected from a video library of the dealer's choice with copy points and interactive on screen conversion tools and additional information sources like CarFax. 

Of course they also can enhance and distribute pure video clips so you may want to schedule a presentation to see their newest version.  Technology -- and SiSTeR -- has moved on and you probably should see where they are now vs. yesterday; and you won't believe some of the things planned for tomorrow!

@Ralph:

I am right there with you.  Our scalable solution allows for the dealer to have some options including the live narration as they are recording the video.  Take a look at the Custom Voice Over on this page:  http://www.liveeventstream.com/?page_id=241

And the videos on YouTube are just that, REAL VIDEO  Check out the YouTube channel for Gunn Chevrolet in the YouTube section on this page:  http://www.liveeventstream.com/?page_id=464

All of this is scalable and at the same time lends itself to the type of video that Ken and Tim Jennings have been doing for years now. 

Just wanted a bump on the original post to this thread.  Has there been any action on the original theme?  Given what Apple has been able to do against Samsung with the idea that they copied the "look and feel" of the IPad and the injunctive relief they are having Internationally, it makes me wonder what if anything ever happened with this issue.

Hi Tom,

Yes, there have been some recent developments regarding the SiSTeR patent; some in the public domain regarding enforcement of the patent and many more behind the scenes as dealers and vendors alike have decided to switch vs. fight!

After all, what are friends -- and patents -- for!

Yep Who needs a cell phone when they still have a perfectly good pager?

RSS

ADMPC is a Network for Car Dealers, Automotive Marketing, Advertising and Management Pros sharing Digital Strategies and Execution Tactics.

Please Consider Automotive Marketing Professional Community Sponsors

ADM Badge

Loading…

Based On Your Interests...

Onsite/Offsite Combination ADM Consulting & Coaching
Select the maximum amount you want to pay each month
$ USD

Automotive Marketing Tools

Get ADM Toolbar

Click here to take the ADM Member Survey

Google Automotive Network Targeted Placement Ads

Getting too many emails from ADM? Click mailbox below to control which types of alerts and updates you are sent......

Instagram

Top 5 Automotive Marketing Forum Discussions - 30 Days

2. Dealership Website SEO

Posted by Kim Essenmacher on February 15, 2014

Share the Best Content w/AutoMarketing Community

© 2014   Created by Ralph Paglia.

ADM Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service