Automotive Digital Marketing ProCom

Professional Community for Car Dealers, Automotive Marketers and Sales Managers

Loading... Be Patient!

Something a little dark and nasty is going on in the automotive industry with regard to website vendors refusing to place mobile redirect coding on their dealers' websites when it points to a 3rd party mobile solution.

With the rise in use of mobile devices with searching and shopping, it is very important for car dealers to have a mobile friendly site. There are quite a few providers of mobile sites, and many with different product package offerings including mobile widgets, text marketing and, short and go code marketing. So today, dealers have quite a few options for mobile platforms with a multitude of pricing options. This is all good. Unfortunately, I have seen where some website vendors have refused to place the mobile redirect code on the dealer's website when the dealer buys a mobile package from another supplier.

The website vendors that are doing this appear to be holding their customers hostage in order to force the dealer to buy their version of a mobile solution, whether it is inferior (in technology, price or solution) or not. How is this fair or reasonable? The dealer is paying for the website and has elected to go with what they feel is a superior system. This is no different than adding a script for a social site add-on or a 3rd party lead application, which is done all of the time. 

What do you think?

Tags: mobile, redirects, script, vendors, website

Views: 52

Reply to This

Replies to This ADM Discussion

Interesting topic Aloysius...I sure appreciate the dealers pain who finds themselves stuck in this situation.

I would guess there are hundreds or more who have experienced this issue and many more to come. Your question "How is this fair or reasonable" is not actionable. Terms of Service, contracts, etc. are actionable. Whatever the agreement between the dealer and the site provider is, must be what is considered fair and reasonable as both have accepted it. In answer to your second question, I think it it's pretty crappy that a provider would do it. Eventually word will get out I suspect and accommodations will be made or dealers will look elsewhere when their leases are up. Thanks for making us aware sir.

I think it's stupid business practices like this that will make people turn to other solutions when the contract is up.  Great point, and thank you, Aloysious.
VinSolutions will allow 3rd party mobile sites, but we do offer ours for free as part of our normal websites.

Matt,

Reynolds Web Solutions also offers a free mobile site to any franchise dealer.  This is where I have seen dealers sign up for a free mobile site from us and their website vendor refuse to add the redirect for the mobile site. 

As website vendors we add widgets, links, etc. from third parties quite often.  I am surprised that mobile redirects is where some vendors have chosen to draw the line.

Nicole

RSS

ADMPC is a Network for Car Dealers, Automotive Marketing, Advertising and Management Pros sharing Digital Strategies and Execution Tactics.

Please Consider Automotive Marketing Professional Community Sponsors

ADM Badge

Loading…

Based On Your Interests...

Onsite/Offsite Combination ADM Consulting & Coaching
Select the maximum amount you want to pay each month
$ USD

Automotive Marketing Tools

Get ADM Toolbar

Click here to take the ADM Member Survey

Google Automotive Network Targeted Placement Ads

Getting too many emails from ADM? Click mailbox below to control which types of alerts and updates you are sent......

Instagram

© 2014   Created by Ralph Paglia.

ADM Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service