Automotive Digital Marketing

Professional Community for Car Dealers, Marketing, Advertising and Sales Leaders

Loading... Be Patient!

I particularly like when Jim discusses how Ford uses Social to win brand consideration. 

Ralph did you school Jim when you were with ADP?

Tags: ADP, Automotive Digital Marketing, Automotive Social Media, Daymond Decker, Dealer.com, Dealership Social Media, Ford Marketing, Jim Farley, Scott Monty

Views: 373

Reply to This

Replies to This ADM Discussion

No, that's my job. :-)

Scott Monty

Head of Social Media 

Ford Motor Company

Scott- What a pleasure it is to have you comment to my post.  BTW, Ford  blue runs in my veins.  

Could you please share for the readers the top 3 things that Ford is doing to drive sales with Social?  

It would be honor to hear about this subject directly from you.

Hi Daymond,

Thank you for bleeding blue! We're honored to be held up as an example by the industry.

As we view it, social media is best used at the broad end of the sales funnel - for general awareness and reputation building. It's really not a lead generation tool in the way dealers have come to traditionally use the Internet.

Think of it as a relationship building tool that allows you to form trusted relationships with people in your community - much like attending a cocktail party or Rotary lunch. You're not there to sell, but to learn about other people and their interests, respond to their questions and needs, and to provide information as required. Doing so consistently and repeatedly over time will bolster your reputation and put you on people's consideration list when they're ready.

Here's a great quote - one of my all-time favorites - that sums up what we all need to be doing:

If you wish to persuade me, you must think my thoughts, feel my feelings and speak my words.

This isn't a Jim Farley-ism; this was written by the great Roman orator Cicero over 2,000 years ago. And it's just as true today.

If we want to get the attention and trust of consumers today, we need to be where they are and interacting with them the way they want, not the way we want. Simply taking our old process and repeating it on a new platform or technology will not work. We need to listen and observe and simply be human. It sounds like a simple formula - and in reality it is - but it's largely about common sense and applying the Golden Rule

Thanks again for taking the time to listen. And thank you for doing what you're doing to help all dealers embrace social media!

Scott Monty

Head of Social Media

Ford Motor Company

I am amazed at the simplicity of your answers and how time-tested your philosophy is.   I look forward to following your insights on your blogs “The Social Media Marketing Blog” , “The Automotive Blog”, and Twitter  - @ScottMonty. Thank you again for your contribution to this discussion and to the industry.

For the readers…it is  fair to mention that Scott is a Subject Matter Expert.  Scott co authored a great book titled, The Age of Conversation (Second edition).

Thanks for calling that out; it might be helpful to note that my work has also been featured in some 20 books, including the textbook Advertising & Promotion.
And... It sure looks like Scott has been quite effective at it!
Please follow me on Twitter @RalphPaglia

Here is a perfect example released today on how Ford is dominating social media. Nice job Scott.

RSS

Automotive Professional Network and Resource Exchange for Car Dealers, Managers, OEM and Marketing Practitioners seeking Best Practices.

ADM Sponsor

Please Consider Automotive Marketing Professional Community Sponsors

ADM Badge

Loading…

Based On Your Interests...

ADM Consulting, LLC

Onsite/Offsite Combination ADM Consulting, LLC Professional Services
Select the maximum monthly investment you plan to make
$USD

Automotive Marketing Tools

Get ADM Toolbar

Click here to take the ADM Member Survey

Getting too many emails from ADM? Click mailbox below to control which types of alerts and updates you are sent......

Instagram

Top Automotive Marketing Forum Discussions

1. Best VPN

Posted by Christie on March 22, 2019

Share the Best Content w/AutoMarketing Community

© 2019   Created by Ralph Paglia.   Powered by

ADM Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service