Automotive Digital Marketing

Professional Community for Car Dealers, Marketing, Advertising and Sales Leaders

Loading... Be Patient!

I've been trying to find out the BEST CONVERTING button copy (the words written on a vehicle's click-thru button), but have come up empty.  This has lead me to trying to discover the best converting site colors, widget geography, CHAT interface, etc...

I bought heavy into heat maps for a moment, and then discovered a dude who showed research on how that info can be manipulated with only a few changes.

I've also looked into those sites that have been VOTED best and still don't come up with enough answers for which sites CLIENTS prefer over other sites and what "specifics" make those sites dominate the client's attention.

Has anyone arrived at a few unique "Must haves" for auto web sites...with specifics? (i.e. Pop-up coupons?  CHAT interface?  Button copy?  Staff Photos?  Easter Eggs? Video testimonials? Social link Interface? etc...)

Tags: auto, button, car, chat, conversion, copy, interface, paglia, ralph, site, More…sites, tom, vann, web

Views: 1898

Reply to This

Replies to This ADM Discussion

Solid input.  There MUST be analytical click-data on phraseology, though.  Don't you think?  If so, who has it? 

Sorry, but I haven't seen any.  It's probably considered proprietary by most vendors - I know I would if I was running a dealer CMS service, and in my work with OEM Web design, I never saw it formally documented.  My greatest success has been in leveraging my direct marketing experience.  Make key links clear, action-oriented and benefit-driven calls-to-action instead of generic indications (e.g. "100's of vehicles in stock - click here to view!"  instead of "vehicle inventory")

This issue is more complicated than colours and copy.  You need to know where the key points are on the site for the different conversions you're looking for, and you need to know the different paths different groups of consumers take to reach the same goal.  These pieces of information will help tell you where action-oriented links will provide the biggest bang for your buck.  You can't do this everywhere because you'll overwhelm users and they'll simply go somewhere else.

I like how you've phrased this: "analytical click-data on phraseology." I'm definitely going to steal that term. I've no idea who has it, maybe someone like Forrester or http://www.dataium.com/library.

Showing monthly payments with the option of pre-qualifying to see real payments they credit qualify for.

This takes the focus off "PRICE" as most customers are not paying cash.

Give them what they need to buy a car from you so they don't have to leave your website looking for it.

Let's go back to the topic question.

You'll find that Copyblogger with their blog post @ http://www.copyblogger.com/call-to-action-buttons, agrees with my assessment. They are all about conversions. I've been using Scribe for years and I have many pieces of collateral converting well. IMO, stop looking for easy answers on "automotive" blogs and sites and go higher. Look at what works for other industry models and mimic and test and test and test and test. It takes a lot of work, this isn't an out of the box solution. 

OK.  Now we're getting closer!

Add mobile to the mix and it gets really interesting...

Mobile is tackled with proper strategy and RWD or Responsive Web Design.

I use simple basic common sense : When on the path to purchase there are some basic stages in making a buying decision.1. "Awareness" of need. 2. Research of options . 3. Comparison of inventory and Dealer. 4. ZMOT  

I never assume what order these happen in but I do track my weekly and month page engagement with Google Analytic.  

The basic questions the auto consumer have are the same...Is this the right car for me ? What make and model will meet my needs? New or Used? ...If Used,  my concerns would be...what is previous history of service, ownership, accidents, recalls? ....What is the consumer saying about the history of the Dealer ? Is it a good deal ? 

Smart Dealers are answering these basic questions on their website and then tracking the leads weekly and monthly for appointment, demo, write-up and delivery. 

100% of our sales come from the web..... So we watch very closely where our leads come from to our website and then observe the shopper behavior on our site to ZMOT ( call, email, chat, text)   

Solid strategy for sure!  Keep your eye on Inventory and Dealer display, offers, and engaging copy that furthers the transaction.

Are you also stating, though, that you don't take much stock in measuring color changes, button copy, staff bio engagement, etc...?  

This is a great topic, and maybe the most important when it comes to a complete digital marketing campaign. A couple of short points:

1. To the original question...It depends. What action do you want to be taken? Who is the person you want to take take the action? What stage in the cycle are they? What is going to happen when they take the requested action? How did they get to the page? What info is on the page? The answers to these questions will affect the success of your CTA. 
  2. Obviously, research is very important, but I wonder how insightful the research is when all of the websites used in the collection of the data are built the same way. Dealership websites have been, by and large, built to be easily repeatable, not easily customized. They are not designed for conversion optimization. User expectations are low, because the bar is set low. If we built better websites, with insightful information that spoke to the persona, would the expectations change? Would the research show that consumers were looking for more than just price? Just Curious. 

When you consider must haves...Here is my (over-simplified) list:

1. Continuity. Meet and exceed the expectations of the UX.
  2. Lead Them. You wouldn't let someone walk the lot without greeting and leading them...Why would you do it on your website?
  3. Live the promise. Everyone always wants a USP. All you have to do is set expectations for the relationship and meet it. 
  4. Test, Analyze, Measure, Adjust. 

IMHO - All the other pieces are only going to be a successful as the commitment to them. Chat, social, video, button copy, coupons, payments, etc. Execution is everything. 

Last thing...Sites that are voted the best...The best what? This isn't a beauty pageant...It's a UFC fight. The BEST site is the one that converts the most traffic into leads.

Right on!  And as Chip mentioned, with MOBILE application in the mix, we better be "Genius" about getting it right! 

RSS

Automotive Professional Network and Resource Exchange for Car Dealers, Managers, OEM and Marketing Practitioners seeking Best Practices.

ADM Sponsor

Please Consider Automotive Marketing Professional Community Sponsors

ADM Badge

Loading…

Based On Your Interests...

ADM Consulting, LLC

Onsite/Offsite Combination ADM Consulting, LLC Professional Services
Select the maximum monthly investment you plan to make
$USD

Automotive Marketing Tools

Get ADM Toolbar

Click here to take the ADM Member Survey

Getting too many emails from ADM? Click mailbox below to control which types of alerts and updates you are sent......

Instagram

Top Automotive Marketing Forum Discussions

Share the Best Content w/AutoMarketing Community

© 2019   Created by Ralph Paglia.   Powered by

ADM Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service