Automotive Digital Marketing

Professional Community for Car Dealers, Marketing, Advertising and Sales Leaders

Loading... Be Patient!

I applied as an Internet Manager at a multi location dealership.  They weren't advertising for it, or even have such a position.  I did get an interview with two GM's separately.  Both of their immediate reactions where that they already had Internet Sales people at their locations.  I went into great detail about the role that I would play as the Internet Manager, and that I wouldn't be taking away any business from them.  I'd be increasing business for them, and the dealership.  After talking the second GM, I went back to speak to the first one.  I stated that the other GM had told me that his location is doing 25 Internet Sales a month, and asked how many his location is doing.  He said, "if that", and I asked him what he ment.  "Nobody knows how many sales we do from the Internet.  I don't even know how many my guy does here."  I was shocked!  "What about your website traffic, and the portal site traffic?", "Nobody knows, he told me".  I left there dumbfounded, and at the same time realizing the opportunity that is there for someone will my experise, and experience. 

I've worked for a large RV multi-location dealership doing traditional floor sales, and tons of shows.  I got into the Internet end of the business, and that's where I discovered my passion for Internet Operations.  The last year the dealership was privately owned, we did $11 million in Internet Sales.  The previous owner of the RV dealership started a boat dealership, and knowing my passion for Internet Operations, asked me to come on board as his Internet Manager.  With very little knowledge of boats, I was able to sell over thirty in the first three months of the selling season.  These were sold to buyers from all over the world.  In addition to boats/RVs, I've sold cars, motorcycles, trucks, and snowmobiles using the Internet.  When you are passionate about something, it's never work. 

I recently read with great interest the Dallas News article about local dealers, and how the Internet is changing their dealerships operation.  "The three Internet Sales people we now have generate as many sales as seven traditional"  "In three years the Internet department will be the primary way we sell cars"- David Thomas, managing partner of Subaru of Plano

What would you suggest my next move be?  Set up a meeting with the owner? Move on to another dealer?

Views: 128

Reply to This

Replies to This ADM Discussion

David,
It's simple - "buy" a car from them. Contact them via email, go through the process of buying a car online from them. Then - document all the things they can do differently, highlight the good and the bad, and create a PLAN.

Meet with the GM, walk him through your experience and lay out your plan of action. Then simply tell him you can start on Monday

Good luck!
Great advice - just do...something!
David, I am an Internet Sales & Marketing Manager for a large Chevy store.  I know that there are Auto Groups out there who don't really know what theri people are doing.  Mainly becaus no one is guiding them.  That is what an eCommerce Director is supposed to do.  But they aren't sure what an eCommerce Director does.  First there is an overall strategy, coordination of effort, technical expertise, staff management, hands-on experience and on and on.  You desire to be that person.  You have to show them how that will be an advantage to their business.  Break it down and present to them how that can improve what they are doing.
Sound guidance from a man who walks the talk...

Tom, great advice & spot on.

I have followed ADM for a long time but recently and finally took the time to register (hence the no picture) but I thought I could add my 2 cents of a similar experience.

After working for a Chevy store that embraced the power of the Internet Customer and the buying power we developed a very successful department that I built and ran. Unfortunately that came to an end during the GM store closures even with unmatched sales in our DMA. Hence my look for a new position. Seeking a real challenge, I found an auto group that had "old school" mentalities with huge potential including auto divisions as well as multiple national & international HD truck locations under the same umbrella. The HD truck industry is a dinosaur in the internet world and I yearned to get into it. So being persistent  I took the position of one auto location as the sole "internet guy" and knocked their socks off. And to greatly credit ADM, I have utilized resources posted such as job descriptions to explain my every day’s tasks since it is hard to lay out what we do to a non-tech savvy audience. Short time later, present date I proudly run every aspect including the truck divisions I so much wanted. (with the 24/7 workload I should have been careful for what I asked for…..)

Start small and make a huge impact. Go direct to the owner and present your plan & past success! They will want you to eventually fix, build, and continue with the other stores and make them more revenue. After all that’s why the put the key in the door every morning.

Kudos Wesley.  A great success story!

RSS

Automotive Professional Network and Resource Exchange for Car Dealers, Managers, OEM and Marketing Practitioners seeking Best Practices.

ADM Sponsor

Please Consider Automotive Marketing Professional Community Sponsors

ADM Badge

Loading…

Based On Your Interests...

ADM Consulting, LLC

Onsite/Offsite Combination ADM Consulting, LLC Professional Services
Select the maximum monthly investment you plan to make
$USD

Automotive Marketing Tools

Get ADM Toolbar

Click here to take the ADM Member Survey

Getting too many emails from ADM? Click mailbox below to control which types of alerts and updates you are sent......

Instagram

Top Automotive Marketing Forum Discussions

Share the Best Content w/AutoMarketing Community

© 2019   Created by Ralph Paglia.   Powered by

ADM Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service