Automotive Digital Marketing

Automotive Marketing Professional Community for Car Dealers, OEM and Suppliers

Loading... Be Patient!
I just got off the phone with my Cobalt advocate and once again was shocked when I asked about "backlinks" and my rep wasn't sure what I was talking about. They seem to think that all we have to do to get organic traffic is add some nearby towns to our text and meta info and boom we will have plenty of traffic.

We only have this site because of all the captive programs GM is shoving down our throats now. I am glad I kept our other website or I could count my web traffic on two hands.

So, is anyone happy with Cobalt? Maybe you can share some tips with me on how to get some movement out of them. It took too long to get a templated website live and they keep telling me the seo is coming.

Tags: Cobalt, Dealer, Websites

Views: 762

Reply to This

Replies to This ADM Discussion

Evidently the SEO guy at that handles the website of my employer was off the day you had your talk with My account advocate and I got our hands slapped and my links for the city halls taken off my site...
@everyone Thanks for the input. That is what sites like this are all about.
My meeting is over. Basically all you can expect from Cobalt is on page SEO. They will make you a links page if you want it but I think those devalue your site. If you give them contact information for sites that will agree to link to you they will make that contact for you.

I am still disappointed in the SEO knowledge I have encountered there but at list the last person I talked to didn't ask me what I meant when I asked about backlinks.
As expected and not to fault Cobalt, most website vendors can do a good job on on-site SEO but that's the extent of things. If you need a consistent monthly strategy for link building and off-site SEO, give me a call to discuss how we can help. 732-450-8200.

From my perspective, online competition will significantly increase in 2010 so there is no better time than now to get started.
Thanks Brian, if I ever get a budget you are on my short list.
We have three Cobalt sites, and now that GM is charging me for the leads that are sent in via those sites, I have half a mind to take everything off of it and just put bold print link to our main TK site.Right now the first thing that you see on my cobalt site says: For a more complete shopping experience please visit the John Jones GM City main page at Ralph must have been reading my mind, because that is my exact philosophy when it comes to the Cobalt site. I don't try to hard to push the SEO on those pages mainly for the fact that I really would prefer no one visited them.We haven't noticed much traffic anyway, especially since GM changed the OEM main websites to be flash nightmares. Has anyone without High-Speed internet visited the Chevy site lately? Impossible to view, let alone send in a lead. My advise is don't beat your head against a wall with Cobalt, and focus your efforts elsewhere.
This is the first I've heard of having to pay for each lead from GM......

The thing that bugs me the most is that it has been difficult to maintain the Cobalt site. Of course no one can explain why my pictures always take a few days to two weeks to update on their end when every other site gets them the day I upload them.

Unfortunately you need to have leads coming through the Cobalt site so that you have enough to be within the requirements for the Digital Performance Reward.
Hi Amanda, thanks for your comments. I was looking at my stats yesterday and one thing that leaped out at me was my bounce rates. The Cobalt site bounce rate is more than twice the rate of any of my other sites.

Let me get this straight, they are charging you per lead for everyone that submits a form from your Cobalt site?
This subject has always been sore one for me...Most of us all know the limitations that a Cobalt site has and the fact that GM shoves the site down your throat. We made a decision to limit the Cobalt sites presence on the web. We have removed all the meta tags and only see the site show up on the paid search. Our dealerships main site ( is already branded well so we try and minimize them competing. We are not looking to confuse our customer with two sites!

Automotive Marketing Network and Exchange for Car Dealers, OEM Managers, Advertising and Marketing Practitioners seeking improved results.

Please Consider Automotive Marketing Professional Community Sponsors

ADM Badge

Based On Your Interests...

ADM Consulting, LLC

Onsite/Offsite Combination ADM Consulting & Coaching
Select the maximum amount you want to pay each month

Automotive Marketing Tools

Get ADM Toolbar

Click here to take the ADM Member Survey

Getting too many emails from ADM? Click mailbox below to control which types of alerts and updates you are sent......

Share the Best Content w/AutoMarketing Community

© 2018   Created by Ralph Paglia.   Powered by

ADM Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service