Automotive Digital Marketing

Professional Community for Car Dealers, Marketing, Advertising and Sales Leaders

Loading... Be Patient!

Some of you may be aware that I was one of the "Charter Subscribers" to the first public access Internet Service Provider in 1986... CompuServe. Well, today i get to claim being the first ADM Professional posting an online Forum Discussion while at crusing altitude aboard a commercial flight. Yup, I happened to get on what is supposedly the ONLY commercial aircraft currently operating in US skies that has been authorized by the FAA to provide WiFi Internet access to passengers during flight... Apparently, it is an pilot program that Southwest is testing to see if passengers actually use it during flight time... For Rapid Rewards members, it is free, you just enter your SWA account number and log in...

I would like to hear the opinions of ADM members as to the pros and cons of airlines providing internet access during flights... For example, what will that do to my beloved Geotargeting of online advertising for car dealers????? How will Google geotarget their search advertising placed through Adwords? Does it really matter at all?????

In regards to that last question, think about how many people are on commercial flights every day... Over 2,000,000 Americans are in the air during business hours on any given week day... That number surges to over 5,000,000 on heavy travel days, such as the day before Thanksgiving.

Now, let's talk about the demographics of who will be using in-flight Internet access... In 2006 my team sold over 4,000 new and used vehicles out of the total of over 11,000 vehicles sold that year by Courtesy Chevrolet in Phoenix. When the Finance Director pulled reports on aggregate Beacon scores, the vehicles sold by the eBusiness Team were sold to customers with an average credit score over 100 points higher than non-Internet originated deals... What would leads from in-flight Internet users look like?

Anyways... Would love to hear from anyone who wants to comment on this major development in online access by Americans, and the potential car buyers that may be in the air using the Internet as this feature is rolled out on all major airlines, that want to stay in business!

Because, if I have a choice, i am going to select the airline that gives me in-flight Internet access, even if the airfare is higher... Productivity is worth a lot of money!

Southwest Airlines is evaluating Wi-Fi internet access onboard four aircraft now through March. With this innovation, we are giving Customers with Wi-Fi enabled devices the freedom to be more productive and to stay entertained while they fly with full access to the Internet, including e-mail, music, shopping, and virtual private networks (VPN).

Internet access will be free during this evaluation period. We will be surveying Customers throughout the evaluation to get input on various aspects of the product and help us determine whether to equip the rest of our fleet with this cutting-edge technology. So if you are on one of our Wi-Fi planes, we'll be asking for your feedback!

Tags: Internet access on Southwest, Southwest airlines wifi, Southwest provides internet access, in-flight internet access

Views: 92

Reply to This

Replies to This ADM Discussion

I think you will have a lot more members of the "solo" mile high club:) What to you think Ralph?
LOL... I am laughing too hard to respond.... A few weeks ago I was flying from Detroit to Phoenix on Southwest and had claimed the aisle seat in the 4th row when I saw MY PERSONAL SEAT (11c) already taken by one of the 4 people ahead of me (I was boarding pass A5)... I was doing my best imitation of a pissed off silverback gorilla with my WWF champion facial scowl in place to deflect anyone boarding the plane who might be thinking about taking the 2 seats to my left... When all of a sudden this young, incredibly gorgeous, knock your eyeballs out BABE walks past the flight attendants to board my flight! So, I did one of my patented "selective seat assignment" maneuvers developed after flying on Southwest for over 8 years on a weekly basis and deciding if I am going to fall asleep with my body touching the strangers seated next to me, then I am going to start deciding whose body it is!

I stood up into the aisle immediately in front of this woman, the most beautiful passenger Southwest has ever flown (hey, it was Friday and I had worked 80 hours that week), and started rummaging through my computer bag, while blithely, and ever so coolly turning my head towards the brilliant light (her) and smiled, then whispered (hands still in the bag) "would like the window seat, this row has the best view?". Shazzaaam... It worked... How often does a fat middle aged car guy get to sit on, I mean next to a gorgeous 21 year old who can't leave and is lashed to you by a seat belt? Anyways... I made sure nobody took the aisle seat and when we rolled out for departure it was Miss Beautiful and I, all alone... Except for the other 135 squished in cattle, er people.

So anyways, here's why I am laughing so hard at your post... About 30 minutes into the 4 hour flight Miss Beautiful asks for a blanket, then covers up her scantily clad temple to the female form (yeah, I know, Detroit in February, but she's a college girl) and scrunches up on the seat by the window, but facing towards me, with her legs pulled up and somewhat on the empty middle seat, then closes her beautiful eyes to go to sleep... So, what did Ralph do? He broke out the Dell and started editing work stuff... I figured my luck had run out. So, she's asleep and the lights are down low and I am starting to nod off myself, so I put the laptop away, turn off the reading light and lay my head back and start sawing z's... Now, because I am paranoid about my hands flopping out into the aisle on the right, or slapping the person seated to my left when I fall asleep on a plane, I always loosen my belt a few notches, and put my hands into the top of my pants, sort of like what Ed Bundy used to do with his hands halfway down the front of his pants when watching TV on that sitcom "Married with Children"... I am just about to doze off, when I hear the sultry sound of Miss Beautiful whispering... LOL LOL Get this... she asks me "Do you think masturbation qualifies you for the Mile High Club?"... LOLOLOLOL... I gotta stop typing I am laughing too hard!
Hahahaaaa!

You might as well go 'head and sign up for the newsletter now!

http://www.milehighclub.com/maillist.html

LOL!!!

Hello Ralph!

You're so hard-core SEM it ain't EVEN funny!

Given that the FAA will ultimately decide which service providers will offer In-Flight Wi-Fi on US based flights... over the next 5-7 years it should be fairly easy to create filters for incoming "Air-Leads" in order to single them out, (I have officially "Coined" Air-Leads on ADM... LOL), and even start a whole new category for incoming lead tracking.

Adding NEW lead categories always results in increased accuracy when analyzing EXISTING lead categories.

My "politically" influenced prediction for the first 2-3 years of in-flight Wi-Fi service is:

In-flight nut-jobs will doing EVERYTHING within their power to prove that in-flight Internet access is a TOTAL mistake... and may eventually lead to the end of the world as we know it!

(I don't feel that way... BELIEVE ME... I'm simply adept at predicting, ummmm, "general-moronic-street fu**er behavior").

J.C.

RSS

Automotive Professional Network and Resource Exchange for Car Dealers, Managers, OEM and Marketing Practitioners seeking Best Practices.

ADM Sponsor

Please Consider Automotive Marketing Professional Community Sponsors

ADM Badge

Loading…

Based On Your Interests...

ADM Consulting, LLC

Onsite/Offsite Combination ADM Consulting, LLC Professional Services
Select the maximum monthly investment you plan to make
$USD

Automotive Marketing Tools

Get ADM Toolbar

Click here to take the ADM Member Survey

Getting too many emails from ADM? Click mailbox below to control which types of alerts and updates you are sent......

Instagram

Top Automotive Marketing Forum Discussions

Share the Best Content w/AutoMarketing Community

© 2019   Created by Ralph Paglia.   Powered by

ADM Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service