Automotive Digital Marketing

Professional Community for Car Dealers, Marketing, Advertising and Sales Leaders

Loading... Be Patient!

Digital Marketing Pros: Official Google Analytics Academy!

Is it useful and productive for Automotive Marketing Professionals working at the dealership level to get training directly from Google on how to best use the various Google Apps, such as Google Analytics to do a better job for the automotive retail organizations they serve? Is it valuable for marketing managers in dealerships to be able to learn more about their dealership's customers with Google Analytics?
  Google Analytics  

Join Google's next Analytics Academy course

Learn how the Analytics platform works to get more value from your reports.

Register now

Last October, Google introduced Digital Analytics Fundamentals, their first course on Analytics Academy. We were thrilled to have over 145,000 students joined Google to learn about the core concepts of digital measurement.

Today, we're diving deeper into how Analytics works with our next course in the series: Google Analytics Platform Principles

In this course, Google instructors cover:
  • the four components of the Analytics platform: collection, processing, configuration and reporting
  • how Analytics collects data across different devices
  • how data is transformed before you see it in reports
  • key concepts for customizing your data in useful ways

Dealership Marketing Professionals will have two weeks to complete the course alongside a worldwide community of Analytics enthusiasts to earn a certificate of completion. After that, the course will remain open for you to complete at your own pace. 

Preview the course

Watch this quick course previewto learn about joining a course on Analytics Academy.

Register now

Happy analyzing,
The Google Analytics Team

New to Analytics? Take the Digital Analytics Fundamentals course.     Join the Analytics Academy student network on Google+

© 2014 Google Inc. 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043

Tags: Analytics, Automotive, Google, Marketing, Professionals?, Training, for

Views: 1376

Reply to This

Replies to This ADM Discussion

with google analytics seemingly getting more complex by the month, dealers and management need at least an understanding of these reports and options to get a handle on the credibility of products and results vendors are pitching...

Dealerships shouldn't be using Google Analytics.

Tagging / Javascript is insecure, it just happens to have been accepted by many and at their own risk.

Over 30% of Internet users turns off tags and scripts when browsing the Internet. One of the biggest things that GA fails to capture, with tags, you cannot capture every single user that hits the site (meaning, it’s not absolute). 

Don't let bots scrape your inventory. Hey Jim Ziegler! http://www.automotivedigitalmarketing.com/jimziegler = Dealer Defender.

Passive Analytics is the way to go:

If the dealer doesn't want to pay for Analytics, Google Analytics is the way to go.  

Its' portable.  If you happen to cancel your current website vendor, you can install it on your new vendor's website.  Then you can really make an apples to apples comparison.  Where is this new vendor better?  and where are they worse?
There are better Analytics solutions out there but Google Analytics is free (I know a few others are free too like Piwik).
Alexander - I'm curious.  I'd like to see where you know 30% of people turn off javascript (or tagging/scripts).  I'm not doubting it but I know that Yahoo did a study several years ago (2011?) and they found that 1% of people had Javascript turned off but I'm sure this has grown since mobile traffic has grown and a small number of mobile devices don't support javascript.

I'll provide a document in the near future. I was just at an Analytics conference.

Alex, you don't know what you're talking about. 30% of users don't turn off javascript. I can go to any home or office and prove this. Of course you won't capture every single user with GA, otherwise you'd have the world's largest denial of service attack. Funny you say it's insecure when the whole web runs on it! Turn off javascript and go try booking a vacation. Let me know how far you get! 

Are you trying to sell something?

Dealers need to track actions/events, page views, and conversions. Google Analytics is the best tool to handle this for dealers. Especially since it's integrated with their other SEM/PPC tools.

Sure, maybe some massive eCommerce sites might want to go with a $100k+ analytics tool. For a dealer website, complete overkill.

There are several dealers who buy Adobe Site Catalyst. (or Omniture or whatever they call it now) Its' a great tool and you can load SEM/PPC data in there.  You can even load Webmaster Tools data in there.  But its' expensive. 

Visistat is another good one.  That's a lot cheaper too.

But I always recommend Google Analytics.  Its' free, portable and sufficient for most people.

@Carl - Yes, it's the expense I'm concerned with. I think Site Catalyst was formerly Omniture Test & Target. I'd be interested in seeing which sites are using it as I'm curious how it's implemented. Since most dealer websites are shared-tenant setups I'd think the website vendor would have a hard time implementing it well for a single site /client. 

But that is pretty cool! I'll take a closer look at it. Mixpanel is another analytics platform I really like. Google Analytics is a feature rich, robust, and reliable platform. Plus it's free :)

All Toyota dealers use Site Catalyst.  To be part of the website program, you have to use it and yes, its' a real pain in the ass to setup but its' worth it. 

Site Catalyst isn't as expensive as you would think.  My company (Autofusion) considered using them to power our Analytics. 

I would recommend them for Dealer Groups.  Especially large ones since the software allows you to segregate the dealers so you can do stuff like see how many leads your west coast dealers are closing.

Visistat is also good and so is Piwik.  Piwik is free.

But Google Analytics is free and widely used.  I have worked with the analytics of other vendors and the problem is different companies define stats in all different ways.  Bounce rate might be defined differently between 3 different providers. 

Using Google Analytics avoids this.  One more thing I like to do is to filter out the web vendor's IP and the dealership's IP.  This is really important because it could give you wrong readings if you are using heat maps to figure out where actual customers are going.

Awesome, thanks for the info! I'll look at some of the implementation details for Site Catalyst.

Have you heard of https://segment.io? It looks like a good tool to use to keep the front-end code clean. Competitive pricing too.

No problem.

Wow segment.io looks pretty cool.  Its' always so annoying to install tons of tags on sites.  This will simplify things.  Thanks!

Yep, and becoming cheaper every day. 

Google Analytics IS a laughing stock and NOT the best option for dealerships. It provides bullsh*t metrics, that mean very little. WEAK!

As far as GA and it's weaknesses:

The largest potential impact on data accuracy comes from users deleting or blocking Google Analytics cookies. Without cookies being set, Google Analytics cannot collect data. Any individual web user can block or delete cookies resulting in the data loss of those visits for Google Analytics users.

These limitations affect the majority of web analytics tools which use page tags (usually JavaScript programs) embedded in web pages to collect visitor data, store it in cookies on the visitor's computer, and transmit it to a remote database by pretending to load a tiny graphic "beacon."

Another limitation of Google Analytics for large websites is the use of sampling in the generation of many of its reports. To reduce the load on their servers and to provide users with a relatively quick response for their query, Google Analytics limits reports to 500,000 randomly sampled visits at the profile level for its calculations. While margins of error are indicated for the visits metric, margins of error are not provided for any other metrics in the Google Analytics reports.

For small segments of data, the margin of error can be very large.

RSS

Automotive Professional Network and Resource Exchange for Car Dealers, Managers, OEM and Marketing Practitioners seeking Best Practices.

ADM Sponsor

Please Consider Automotive Marketing Professional Community Sponsors

ADM Badge

Loading…

Based On Your Interests...

ADM Consulting, LLC

Onsite/Offsite Combination ADM Consulting, LLC Professional Services
Select the maximum monthly investment you plan to make
$USD

Automotive Marketing Tools

Get ADM Toolbar

Click here to take the ADM Member Survey

Getting too many emails from ADM? Click mailbox below to control which types of alerts and updates you are sent......

Instagram

Top Automotive Marketing Forum Discussions

1. Electric Vehicle is the Future

Posted by Dwayne Jhonson on August 29, 2019

2. Email marketing

Posted by Andrew Qrueed on August 26, 2019

4. 5 Ideas for car dealers FB page

Posted by Kevin Lewis on August 6, 2019

Share the Best Content w/AutoMarketing Community

© 2019   Created by Ralph Paglia.   Powered by

ADM Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service