Automotive Digital Marketing

Professional Community for Car Dealers, Marketing, Advertising and Sales Leaders

Loading... Be Patient!

Google's Penguin 2.0 update is now in effect.

Check your rankings. Either you or your SEO vendor (or ideally, both) should be keeping track of how you're ranking for important unbranded keywords. Did your rankings move for terms like "[city] [brand] dealers" if you're in or close to a metro area? How about your inventory terms like "2013 [make][model][metro]"?

I spent time last night doing spot checks on dozens of clients and they all either stayed the same or moved up for their important searches. That doesn't mean that our strategy moved them up, but that their competitors' strategies moved their own sites down. I've seen which some of the vendors that were negatively impacted by the change but I'd love to hear from anyone on ADM about their experience and offer advice (not to mention the advice that will be offered in the comments here) on how to make it right if you were hit.

If you don't have access to your keyword history to see definitely whether you've moved up or down, I'll revive this thread in a month to have you all look at your analytics. Sometimes, it's not easy to see if you've been successful or failed until you get to see the actual data in action.

Tags: Google, Penguin, SEO, Search

Views: 131

Reply to This

Replies to This ADM Discussion

I think the most important concept to be mindful of are the fundamental principle's of what penguin (or panda for that matter) are all about.

If there was an effect, from penguin, it would only be a negative effect. Any perceived positive effect would only be the result of someone else who outranked you getting pushed down as a result of low quality links.

Thats the important point here as well. Penguin specifically addresses web spam from a linking standpoint (Where as Panda addresses improving quality search results). So if your website took a hit in rankings, its because your SEO provider was utilizing black hat spammy techniques. 

So remember that at their core, Penguin punishes, and Panda rewards. 

So, if your rankings went up (all our clients can hold their applause for now, lol) it is because of your SEO company's commitment to good content with good quality in-content back links. But also because those who were previously outranked you's company, did not.

Exactly. I've never thought about it like that - punishment/reward - but it makes perfect sense.

RSS

Automotive Professional Network and Resource Exchange for Car Dealers, Managers, OEM and Marketing Practitioners seeking Best Practices.

ADM Sponsor

Please Consider Automotive Marketing Professional Community Sponsors

ADM Badge

Loading…

Based On Your Interests...

ADM Consulting, LLC

Onsite/Offsite Combination ADM Consulting, LLC Professional Services
Select the maximum monthly investment you plan to make
$USD

Automotive Marketing Tools

Get ADM Toolbar

Click here to take the ADM Member Survey

Getting too many emails from ADM? Click mailbox below to control which types of alerts and updates you are sent......

Instagram

Top Automotive Marketing Forum Discussions

1. Best VPN

Posted by Christie on March 22, 2019

Share the Best Content w/AutoMarketing Community

© 2019   Created by Ralph Paglia.   Powered by

ADM Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service