Automotive Digital Marketing ProCom

Professional Community for Car Dealers, Automotive Marketers and Sales Managers

Loading... Be Patient!

Hi all. I have been posting a lot more content lately, including daily tips from my travels on internet marketing. I've been rotating between here, DrivingSales, and DealerElite and wondered if that's the right approach.

I know many of us are members of those three and others and I personally don't like seeing duplicate posts across all of them. There are exceptions - industry news, webinars, poll questions, etc - but for the most part I write a post for one network and see what happens. I might repost the content on another network in the future if it's relevant, but I like to post one type of content here (anything controversial or "groundbreaking"), another type of content on DrivingSales (comprehensive How-To posts, normally), and something entirely different on DealerElite (quick, dealer-centric tips and tricks).

Am I crazy? Should I be posting everything on every network every time? I see more and more duplicate and/or regurgitated content hitting all of the networks at the same time. Is that the best way to go? It obviously makes for increased exposure of a message, but I don't believe that just because we're all automotive professionals that we go to each network for the same reasons.

Tell me I'm right. Tell me I'm full of crap. Tell me something.

Views: 814

Reply to This

Replies to This ADM Discussion

Ralph

Your points are well taken and of course those who contribute to ADM with the correct motives, write without expecting anything in return.

I like to work with anyone who has a passion to live live to its fullest, grow, and give back to the greater good of the community. There are many examples of those people on ADM, bioth that comments and those that just read and grow.

So, thank you for being in the 20% and contributing as well as Arnold, J.D., and the host of regular contributors.   Things are changing so fast in digital marketing, we all need to be writing more often just to stay ahead of Google!

I write content.  Sometimes it's unique here, and sometimes it's not.  Sometimes I get feedback here, and sometimes I get it other places.  And I know from the analytics that the audiences are NOT just the members nor are the same folks members everywhere.  I write to help an audience; any notoriety I get doesn't help me sell a product, as I don't have a company or a product just me--and until I get cloned then I'm not able to help more than a handful of people directly, so I write.  Essentially, I write for free for the biggest audience I can find, and my content goes where it's allowed--so I think this particular worry is a tempest in a teapot.  I'm not going to worry about it, and if a community wants to restrict writers to only posting with them, that's a big mistake, imho.  If you've seen the content already, just move on, as you might between MSNBC, CNN, or FoxNews online.  Love you, JD, but this is just not the right direction, to me.  Thanks!

I prefer to stagger what I post and don't usually post a new piece to all sites at one time. For instance I'll post it on ADM ( I always put it here first) then a few days later I'll put it on DealerElite and then in a few more days I may put it on DrivingSales. I've seen the same person post all at once and Ill see either a link to it or the post about 12 times in one day and I can't help but think, "man they are full of themselves." I know that's the wrong way to feel but I can't help but think people would think the same about me if I were to do that.

I'm with Keith, and Brian and Ralph.  Although I'm a novice compared to most of you who have commented, I write for free.  I enjoy the responses and comments and learn from them.  I am delighted when a post causes others to think and debate the subject at hand.  I don't often post to anywhere but ADM (my home) although I'm a member of the all of the sites mentioned.  But I do try to drive traffic from the Linkedin groups I belong to.  I assume that people have their favorite places.  Some may visit ADM a lot, and others may gravitate to Driving Sales and Dealer Elite.  Why not give them all a chance to see your work?  If I happen upon a story I've already read at another site, I may pass over it, but then again, I may want to see the comments.  I say, spread the word everywhere you can.

I think it gets old going from network to network and seeing the same content with the same product plugs. 

Richard, I agree with you and as a result pretty much use my online networking time for ADM and the affiliated big soc nets, such as Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, YouTube, etc. As for the product plugs, I don't think anyone minds as long as the content of whatever it is, be it an article, video, charts, etc. as long as their is useful info or insights not proprietary to the product represented by the person posting.  I would like to go one more step and simply say THANK YOU to the KPA team for publishing so much great information, insight, tips and techniques without an overbearing level of commercial promotion for KPA/TK Carsite products and services.  In my opinion, and I get to see a lot of it, KPA/TK does the best job of Content Marketing in the auto supplier space.  Your articles are useful and yet you let the expertise of your authors do the talking when it comes to promoting your brand and products.

Thank you to the entire KPA/TK team, especially J.D. Rucker for their high value content contributions to the ADM Professional Community.

Now THAT's awesome. I am honored by your compliments and impressed that you replied to a comment from 1 year, 1 month, and 12 days ago. That, my friend, is dedication to a site. I'm trying my best to keep my own activity level as close to Ralph's as possible but I don't think I stand a chance.

Hi JD :)

I personally prefer fresh content, meaning one place for an article. Yes, that can prove difficult when choosing where to post, but I think that the only "types" of articles that should or could be duplicated are the ones you mentioned. I do think that creating snippets of an article with "fresh" wording with a link to the original content can work, but constantly sharing the same article in multiple places isn't enticing me to read it, in my opinion, looks more like a ploy than an opportunity to share valuable information.

I believe that if your article is good enough and written well enough, it will be found. This of course, depends on your SEO (categories, tags/keywords, back links etc.) This means instead of taking the time to post "everywhere" - take that extra time to add the best of the above SEO to your article and remember that they are just as important as the article itself. With that said, it will not always be a "hit out of the park", but then its purpose becomes a lesson to review what you could have done better or review the style of the "popular" articles. The style an article is written is important too, especially keeping up with what fancies the "cyberculture" to expand even further; with lists, infographics etc.

I think the only places any article should or can be shared repeatedly is on social networks. Share on a variety of pages (if you have access to them) or share as your Facebook Page on "like-minded" pages. You can tweet it twice a day as many days as you like, add it on G+, LinkedIn, and depending on the article - use Stumbleupon, Reddit or Digg (if you are comfortable enough using those types of sites, if not, you can use vendors to help spread the article like you are trying to do, but in a less obvious kind of way, while gaining page views).

Either way, writing great content is the key.

Socially Yours,

Erin Ryan

That sure did make it quiet on this thread, Andrea. haha. I agree that it would be interesting to see an automotive website that only allowed original content. I'm not sure but I think that's what DealerRefresh does... anyways, having been a community manager for both DrivingSales and Dealer magazine the problem with demanding original content is one that's already been expressed in this thread.. writers are looking for feedback, engagement and exposure. If a website could offer a high level of those three things to a writer, I'd bet they wouldn't have a problem posting exclusive articles. I just haven't seen it happen consistently yet.

It got quite, because everyone took her advice and spammed the heck out of all the networks for the last 24 hours which left no time to comment on this thread! lol

What if everybody on this thread committed to creating an original piece for ADM, then each one of us could comment on each others content and then share it on our social profiles? Could be an experiment in reach and collaboration.

I'm in, who else?

I have an idea, prompted by a message I received from David Johnson regarding a means of rewarding those who post unique content to the ADM Professional Community... As some members are aware, the ADM Community syndicates blogs, forum posts, photos and videos out across hundreds of affiliated sites using a variety of RSS feeds, application layer integration and widgets built for such purposes.  We could begin a process of only syndicating "Featured" content items, and then only featuring those content items which are identified by the author as being exclusive to the ADM network...

What do you think? Would this be an effective way of rewarding those who post unique content?  Of course, everyone would be free to continue posting the same thing on ADM as they post on other sites, but those who post unique content would get many more views, links and referring links from within their content due to the widespread distribution of that content across ADM's affiliate network.

RSS

ADMPC is a Network for Car Dealers, Automotive Marketing, Advertising and Management Pros sharing Digital Strategies and Execution Tactics.

Please Consider Automotive Marketing Professional Community Sponsors

ADM Badge

Loading…

Based On Your Interests...

Onsite/Offsite Combination ADM Consulting & Coaching
Select the maximum amount you want to pay each month
$ USD

Automotive Marketing Tools

Get ADM Toolbar

Click here to take the ADM Member Survey

Google Automotive Network Targeted Placement Ads

Getting too many emails from ADM? Click mailbox below to control which types of alerts and updates you are sent......

Instagram

Top 5 Automotive Marketing Forum Discussions - 30 Days

2. Dealership Website SEO

Posted by Kim Essenmacher on February 15, 2014

Share the Best Content w/AutoMarketing Community

© 2014   Created by Ralph Paglia.

ADM Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service