Automotive Digital Marketing

Professional Community for Car Dealers, Marketing, Advertising and Sales Leaders

Loading... Be Patient!
We recently signed up with the iMagicLab CRM, and I was exceptionally positive about the changes it would bring to the way we do business at our dealership. When I held the first meeting to go over processes however, many of the general managers decided that the salespeople would be unable to utilize the system due to their inability to have even the most basic of computer skills. Our dealerships are in the middle of nowhere in Indiana, but give me a break! I think that with some training, and time that it should work out fine. We have several salespeople that are on the verge of retirement over the next five years, but many of the salespeople should be able to handle something as simple as typing a name and address. My philosophy with this is as simple as "Treat them like idiots and they will act like idiots!" Any suggestions on how to get everyone on board with the digital transition?

Views: 69

Reply to This

Replies to This ADM Discussion

Incentives always work.....

I know this is going to sound Juvenile but it worked for me. I gave a copy of Mario teaches typing to some of my older sales people and they loved it....( mario brothers computer assisted video that teaches typing) I found it at half price books....
license scanner... gets in the basics in a snap.

have them fill in worksheets and pay a proficient typist (part time) (receptionist / warranty clerk) to input sheet info... probably will be more accurate this way as well.

have aggressive online (form) campaigns that drive (about 50%) of your clients to input themselves... integrate that data with your CRM.

trying to force feed technology into old timers has killed many a great idea... i suggest working around them until they see it work.

Hope this helps...

Good Selling, DTG
C'mon....Even those near retirement can use iMagicLab.

I'm a sales guy. We have 15 sales associates on our floor between 28 and 63 years old. Everyone of them can at least hunt and peck well enough to use iMagicLab.

These folks sell cars.......basic computer skills can be taught.
I am with you on this smitty, I have found that the "old timers" as we say actually are more appreciative that we have taken the time to help them grow. They are not only using the computer with more efficiency at work but have expressed that they have taken it home and are able to share with what the rest of the family is doing.

Welcome to the 21st century!!!
yes treat them like idiots and they will act like idiots is true... you must have salesperson buy in for that investment to work. there has to be a strong rule and enforcement on using the system.... if you have a few "ol car dogs" that don't feel that they need it.. I would just let them kill themselves, b/c in 6 months, those green peas that do as they are told are gonna be outselling them...
If you can answer your own question successfully you will find yourself a very wanted person. In a good way though as every crm company will want you to teach their customers how to overcome this obstacle. Tenured sales people will try to torpedo the project and resist all the way. Funny thing is if you dig deep enough you may find those so called computer challenged salespeople are very active on Facebook, Ebay ect.

One thing is certain, if your management team does not hold them accountable you will never realize the full potential of your system. Come to think of it, you sometimes even need someone to hold your management team accountable.

As mentioned above, license scanners, training, incentives all can be a good tool to get over the hump.
Amanda, when I saw your posting I just shook my head, especially the quote below.

"When I held the first meeting to go over processes however, many of the general managers decided that the salespeople would be unable to utilize the system due to their inability to have even the most basic of computer skills."

If that's the attitude of a General Manager; then that's very sad. If you're dealership made the decision to invest in a CRM system then the expectation should be 100% compliance from all salespeople and managers. Most senior salespeople use lack of computer skills as an easy out when it comes to working with a CRM system since they don't like being held accountable. But when it comes to solitaire or surfing the web, they're all experts on the computer. Are your GM's really going to let the performance of the dealership suffer just because a couple of individuals don't know how to use a computer? Train them or replace them is my motto!

Somebody in your dealership decided to invest in the tool and that is the person with whom you should be consulting. Once a decision is made, everyone should be 100% committed to the process. As soon as one person deviates from the process, then the process breaks down. If you can't get the GM's or owner to buy in, then I'd highly recommend you contact Tom Harsha (tharsha@imagiclab.com) over at iMagicLab and ask for his help. The system you all purchased is a top notch CRM system and so are the people there.

Good Luck!

Jerry Thibeau
Sales Trainer
Phone-up Ninjas
585-749-2015
jerry@phoneupninjas.com
www.phoneupninjas.com
Free Phone Training

RSS

Automotive Professional Network and Resource Exchange for Car Dealers, Managers, OEM and Marketing Practitioners seeking Best Practices.

ADM Sponsor

Please Consider Automotive Marketing Professional Community Sponsors

ADM Badge

Loading…

Based On Your Interests...

ADM Consulting, LLC

Onsite/Offsite Combination ADM Consulting, LLC Professional Services
Select the maximum monthly investment you plan to make
$USD

Automotive Marketing Tools

Get ADM Toolbar

Click here to take the ADM Member Survey

Getting too many emails from ADM? Click mailbox below to control which types of alerts and updates you are sent......

Instagram

Top Automotive Marketing Forum Discussions

1. Best VPN

Posted by Christie on March 22, 2019

Share the Best Content w/AutoMarketing Community

© 2019   Created by Ralph Paglia.   Powered by

ADM Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service