Automotive Digital Marketing

Professional Community for Car Dealers, Marketing, Advertising and Sales Leaders

Loading... Be Patient!

Concerning Compete.com as a research tool...

I'm going to do a little buyer-side prospecting here and ask the ADM community if they, as automotive digital marketers, found value and reduced cost savings insights as a direct result of using Compete.com at a $500+ per month level for performing competitive intelligence and lead service provider intelligence research?

As an automotive digital marketer, I want to know how website shoppers are moving about the web. from organic search to dealership site, then to third party inventory listings, and from there to craigslist, yeda yada yada....onward ho.  Yes I want to know how prospects move between mine and competitor websites, or contracted third party lead providers vs.  candidate lead providers.   After all who wouldn’t?  Look out the window and we can watch car shoppers walk our lots then get into their car to drive down the street to walk the next lot of a competing dealer. But try doing that online.  As an industry growing more involved in the digital space, piercing the fog of cyberspace to actually perceive the ebb and flow of shopper movement across the online marketspace makes sense. 

With Compete.com it seems possible if you purchase high level plans and hire a competitive analyst or web analyst. 

Has anyone on ADM used any of Compete.com's paid services and can justify the cost after having done so?

Example screenshot of Compete.com's Free Access leve.  The "goodies" are held back for paid subscribers:

Plans are broken out by level. High-level plans offer more robust competetive intelligence services.  

Tags: competitive, etailing, intelligence, marketing, multichannel, online, research

Views: 72

Reply to This

Replies to This ADM Discussion

One of the best uses of this data is to target the websites that send a lot of traffic to your competitor's sites with Ads, articles, links, etc. If you know where the competition is getting customers from, sometimes you can develop a strategy to divert them to your dealership's website, an appropriate microsite or other online media that you control.

Also, if your competition is keeping people on their site for a significantly longer time period in the form of average length of visitor session, then you need to check the competition's site out and see why people are staying there longer, or engaging more...

If you notice certain trends, such as where your visitors go when they leave your site, or where people leaving your competition's site's go... You can sometimes formulate a "Be Back Campaign" that offers an incentive to come back and request information, enter a contest, register for a free gas card, Top Secret Document to download as a white paper, etc.

I always pick up some type of insight from reports like these... Such as when I noticed that many of our new vehcile inventory visitors were leaving and going into my competition's USED CAR inventory... That's when I installed a "Pop Under" that would show up for the customer when they left my site's new vehicle inventory and it would invite them to check out Certified Used Vehicles to save tons of money... I was able to turn quite a few people around and back into the site.

You should look at the data and simply ask yourself "What does this mean".
How would you interpret this 5 site comparison:

Ralph,

Social media has found success. Print (ex. Digital Dealer Magazine) - not so much.
In a nutshell, I would say that for the period in question, AutomotiveDigitalMarkteing.com has found the most online visibility success at driving Unique Visitor traffic through SEO and Social Media efforts. Growth has been consistent on a monthly and yearly comparison, where other sites show inconsistent growth and volatility when looking at monthly and yearly % change. Digital Dealer Magazine website is loosing Unique Visitor traffic. Print is suffering.

I haven't visited Digital Dealer's website, but it is interesting to see how Unique Visitors to the Digital Dealer is dwindling. For a printed publication, that may be an indicator of diminishing subscription base as fewer new subscribers are going online to subscribe to their magazine; perhaps more in favor of knowledge-sharing benefits found on social media, blogs and communities as ADM, Dealer Refresh and Driving Sales. Their Unique Visitor metrics are weak in comparison with Driving Sales and ADM. Digital Dealer’s efforts at engaging audiences online with digital value added services is weakening. Perhaps their site online marketing, website user experience efforts are non-existent. Digital Dealer is very print-centric with their marketing strategy; placing resources towards their printed publication and not towards social media where the people are. IMO, Digital Dealer has a crisis on its hands and needs to change its model in response to the realities of the new media market if it wants to survive.

Print publications need to be proactive and adapt to changes in media consumer behavior, not reactive.

How will Digital Dealer react?
Any one else have added thougths about the metrics represented in Ralph's chart?

RSS

Automotive Professional Network and Resource Exchange for Car Dealers, Managers, OEM and Marketing Practitioners seeking Best Practices.

ADM Sponsor

Please Consider Automotive Marketing Professional Community Sponsors

ADM Badge

Loading…

Based On Your Interests...

ADM Consulting, LLC

Onsite/Offsite Combination ADM Consulting, LLC Professional Services
Select the maximum monthly investment you plan to make
$USD

Automotive Marketing Tools

Get ADM Toolbar

Click here to take the ADM Member Survey

Getting too many emails from ADM? Click mailbox below to control which types of alerts and updates you are sent......

Instagram

Top Automotive Marketing Forum Discussions

1. Electric Vehicle is the Future

Posted by Dwayne Jhonson on August 29, 2019

2. Email marketing

Posted by Andrew Qrueed on August 26, 2019

4. 5 Ideas for car dealers FB page

Posted by Kevin Lewis on August 6, 2019

Share the Best Content w/AutoMarketing Community

© 2019   Created by Ralph Paglia.   Powered by

ADM Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service