Automotive Digital Marketing ProCom

Professional Community for Car Dealers, Automotive Marketers and Sales Managers

Loading... Be Patient!

CarMax Google Review Ratings Skewed? - 4 Star Rated? With 191 1 Star ratings -37 2&3 Star ratings and only 87 1&2 Star Ratings. What kind of Math is Google using here?

This Google Adword Express ad for CarMax caught my eye when I saw a 4 stared rating. Since they are a competitor of every dealer on this form I thought this may interest us. The numbers are skewed to their advantage in my opinion.

If 74% or 228 of CarMax's 315 Google reviews are Bad to Average and only 87 are 4& 5 star rated how does that equate to a 4 Star Above Average Rating? Anyone else curious or have a opinion on this?

Views: 125

Reply to This

Replies to This ADM Discussion

Here's the long answer:

This is a derivative of Google Product Search (Ratings are based on the user reviews collected by Google Product Search, which aggregates reviews from a broad base of sources across the web, including Reseller Ratings, Bizrate, ReviewCentre.com and Viewpoints, bazaarvoice.com )  and they are stating that the calculation goes beyond arithmatic mean:   http://support.google.com/merchants/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=... 

The Seller Ratings Calculation in Google Product Search Results
We calculate Seller Ratings using a variety of signals beyond just the arithmetic mean in order to make sure Seller Ratings reflect not only the raw quantity of review scores, but also how representative and high-quality the reviews are. We're constantly refining how we use those signals to give our users as helpful an overview as possible.
Here's the short answer:
"Beyond the arithmetic mean" implies , Google is not going to show below 4 stars if you are spending the money on these ads.  

RSS

ADMPC is a Network for Car Dealers, Automotive Marketing, Advertising and Management Pros sharing Digital Strategies and Execution Tactics.

Please Consider Automotive Marketing Professional Community Sponsors

ADM Badge

Loading…

Based On Your Interests...

Onsite/Offsite Combination ADM Consulting & Coaching
Select the maximum amount you want to pay each month
$ USD

Automotive Marketing Tools

Get ADM Toolbar

Click here to take the ADM Member Survey

Google Automotive Network Targeted Placement Ads

Getting too many emails from ADM? Click mailbox below to control which types of alerts and updates you are sent......

Instagram

Top 5 Automotive Marketing Forum Discussions - 30 Days

2. Dealership Website SEO

Posted by Kim Essenmacher on February 15, 2014

Share the Best Content w/AutoMarketing Community

© 2014   Created by Ralph Paglia.

ADM Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service