Automotive Digital Marketing

Professional Community for Car Dealers, Marketing, Advertising and Sales Leaders

Loading... Be Patient!
I can't even begin to count the times I have been asked this question, or something like it. It's been asked of me by everyone from service advisors to outside sales reps. It is an interesting thing that we do, us "internet" people.

The title of the "Internet Manager" alone can generate so many definitions that a person that does what people like me do are left with out an identity to speak of. I guess you could call me a Director, or a Consultant, or even a Manager. The labor board defines a manager as someone who hires and fires. About.com defines it this way, "A Manager is the person responsible for planning and directing the work of a group of individuals, monitoring their work, and taking corrective action when necessary. For many people, this is their first step into a management career.....A manager may have the power to hire or fire employees or to promote them."

Although I may help in the hiring process and may reccommend an applicant, it is certainly not a significant portion of my job. It's not always easy when you have made yourself what you are to your dealership. In my case it alright though, cause I have a dealer who really "gets it". I am sure if it came down to it, he would hold on to me with a kung-fu grip. I am described as everything from product expert to IT person (which happens to be my least favorite of them all).

People who do what I do can effectivley train, teach, research, analyse, advise, consult, troubleshoot, sell, develop, refine, improve, and create.

As an Internet Manager (by common definition) your responsibilities can be endless, but when it comes down to it you only get paid when you sell a car. Is it fair for owners, general managers and the like to expect you to have the current service specials online, that car they sold last night removed from AutoTrader.com, the receptionist's mouse fixed, have that dealer trade secured for transport 200 miles away, and get three deals out by the close of business today? Can you fulfill all of this and still make a living when you are only paid for the latter of the bunch? Directors are faced with a similar challenge, except when they want to know why you can't sell more cars, you know the only way to sell more, is to do it yourself.

We alll know that it takes a strong internet strategy and process to sell more cars, not just one more able-bodied person to demo, sell, and close a deal. How can you accomplish all this in Department that only knows how to pay people on a variable basis, where no fixed expenses are allowed. All this even when your job extends far past the realm of the Sales Department alone.

This is where I come in, my job is to create more opportunities to do business, analyse it, alter it, and then perfect it. I also train and equip you to handle all the new opportunities and get all the other "stuff" out of the way so you can SELL CARS. So what do you call a person that does what I do?

I am interested to hear from those of you who do what I do, but only get paid to sell, and those who do what I do and actually have a Job title. Is there anyone out there who can "feel me" on this?

Tags: automotive, consult, department, director, easton, internet, job, manager, nicole, position, More…title

Views: 55

Reply to This

Replies to This ADM Discussion

Nicole,

You bring up an issue that is often discussed, usually with some degree of frustration... I am going to attach a couple of job descriptions for the IM/ISM/ISS roles that I have written over the years... As soon as I get on my other PC with the booger vault attached!
I am attaching a couple of job descriptions that I have written in the past to try and answer the questions of "What do you do here, anyways?"... I have uploaded them in their original Word doc format so they can be downlaoded, modified and used if appropriate.
Attachments:
I am really glad to see this brought up and looking at what Ralph has posted is more than perfect. And to you Nicole much kudos. I ask the question of your job description all of the time and very few internet managers understand what they should be doing. Yes we only get paid when vehicles sell but hey that is what we do right? The rest of it we do it because we love it.

Your question "So what do you call a person that does what I do?" I call you awesome, or they call me the Director Of Internet Sales.

The only thing I might add Nicole to your Daily routine and to Ralphs job description is to make a point of learning something new everyday, it might just be the meaning of a code or word but hey knowledge is power and that is why you are so successful.
I like the added task of learning something new every day... But, shouldn't that be part of every manager in the dealership's job description?
Nicole,

You left out used car marketing and keeping the website fresh. Fixing the receptionists mouse hits home, just because you are familier with a computer, everyone seems to think you are the go to person for anything related to a computer.

Another thing I don't think most dealers understand is your comment on "develop, refine, improve, and create", I know I spend several hours throughout a month doing these very things, making sure my cost per lead, cost per sale, and ROI are inline for the vendors I pay every month. I don't know how many times I have had a salesperson tell me that all I do is sit in my office and play games all day, if it were only that easy.
Oh no Jnn, I didn't leave it out. I do the all the digital and physical Merchandising and Marketing for all the used cars in our store. I was just giving an example of what is put on my plate for ONE day.
Just today I printed, removed, and replaced all of the Certified Maronis and Buyers Guide because we just had a CPO warranty change. There are 6 different warranties, and guess who has to make all the templates?
Earlier this week I met up with a Sales Manager I used to work with and he said, "so what do you do all day...play on the internet?" Let me say, I can definetley relate.
Nicole,
Its funny that this issue pervades so many fronts.In fact if you look @ Rich Lucy's (the E-Marketing Director for Tim Dahle Nissan's Murray,Ut. location) profile it simply says "something to do w/ the internet".
Its amazing what a variety of responsibilities and tasks "I-net" people are asked to attend to.
All I know is I couldn't do it day in day out, so I am grateful there are people such as yourself that are willing to do the job w/ out the "glory" of a title.
Hopefully you are appreciated, valued and held in respect by those who, like me, may not have a full understanding of your realm of responsibility.
If everyone had you attitude and appreciated us as much as you do, it would be a lot easier. Thank you for your kind words. There are internet "people" everywhere who will appreciate your position.
I wanted to be the first to say, "I feel you!" So many times I have internet managers attend my training seminars with the same questions. "What do they expect of me?" Many of the managers and salespeople from the old school mentality have no concept of what an Internet Manager does. If these old school relics understood how much effort goes into making a successful internet department they would have more respect for what is done on a daily basis. They have a "point and click" attitude. It's sad that all internet managers don't often get the respect they deserve. We can only pray that upper management can spend a week in the internet managers shoes to get full appreciation for what they do. I know I respect that department! It's made me several thousand dollars in my career.

RSS

Automotive Professional Network and Resource Exchange for Car Dealers, Managers, OEM and Marketing Practitioners seeking Best Practices.

ADM Sponsor

Please Consider Automotive Marketing Professional Community Sponsors

ADM Badge

Loading…

Based On Your Interests...

ADM Consulting, LLC

Onsite/Offsite Combination ADM Consulting, LLC Professional Services
Select the maximum monthly investment you plan to make
$USD

Automotive Marketing Tools

Get ADM Toolbar

Click here to take the ADM Member Survey

ADM Events

Getting too many emails from ADM? Click mailbox below to control which types of alerts and updates you are sent......

Instagram

Top Automotive Marketing Forum Discussions

1. Sorry, your CRM technology is outdated!

Posted by Matt Watson on June 21, 2009

2. Main SEO Trends 2019

Posted by Kevin Lewis on January 24, 2019

Share the Best Content w/AutoMarketing Community

© 2019   Created by Ralph Paglia.   Powered by

ADM Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service