Automotive Digital Marketing

Professional Community for Car Dealers, Marketing, Advertising and Sales Leaders

Loading... Be Patient!
I am looking to hear your thoughts about brining dealerships and their inventory onto mobile phones.

1) “Hype or a necessity?” - Do you think dealerships should adopt a mobile marketing strategy and showcase their inventory on mobile phones? If so why?

2) Given the capabilities of a mobile phone (GPS, messaging, etc), how do you see mobile phone serving buyers and sellers?

3) If you were looking to adopt a mobile marketing solution, what would be your decision factors (cost, time, ROI, # leads etc.)?

4) What lessons have you learned from having a web site and how do you see these lessons apply to a mobile web site?

Thanks,

Shuki

Tags: gps, marketing, mobile, sms, startegy

Views: 228

Reply to This

Replies to This ADM Discussion

What a great idea adding the specific vehicle GO CODE to the sticker. My dealers would love it. Damn. Now I am going to have to figure out how to make it work. I guess I will add that to my to do list. Thanks a lot, Phil......Well, that was quick. I have already figured out how to do it.
No worries Doug, that's what friends and ADM is for! Remember to tune into our show interviewing Shuki and Rich about Gumiyo this Friday between 11 AM and 1:00 PM at www.autoadcreative.com We have a Gumiyo demo video on our site - just click on their logo - and we can HOOK YOU UP!
Doug,
We made it VERY easy and here's how it works using a real life example:
1) "Bill Pierre Ford" is a customer of Gumiyo and they have selected the GO CODE "myford"
2) You can send 'myford' to 48696 and you will get a link to their mobile homepage
AND
3) You can send 'myford ' or 'myford ' or 'myford ' to 48696 and you will get a link + description to a specific vehicle.
Test this:
send 'myford p10616' to 48696
or send 'myford 3n000936' to 48696
or send 'myford waujt64b23n000936' to 48696
You will receive a message with a link to an Audi with that stock number/ vin

So, when you create your window stickers, use something like "Bookmark this vehicle to your phone, send MYFORD P10616 to 48696
Since you have the GO CODE and your existing feed contains the stock number/ vin, you can generate the window stickers that will display it all.

Let me know if you have any questions,

Shuki

Let's say that "ABC Ford Motors" reserved the GO CODE "ABCFORD". If you send
Doug,

We serve several markets aside from the Automotive industry, but the applications and techniques used within one industry can sometimes be used in the other. In preparing our training material for one of our real estate partners we were espousing all of the value props we identified behind the Go Code. He stopped us and said all we have to say is "Put the Go Code on a Billboard and put "Text MLSPro xxxx to 48696 and Take Your Home With You Now for FREE"."

How about using it on window labels in a similar fashion or print ads or TV/radio spots or websites? "Take This Car With You Now For FREE - Just Text VIN to 48696." Simple, but it seemed like a neat idea.

I think the bottom-line here, to comment on Phil's earlier point, its about the right mix. More to the point its all about consistency when it comes to capturing mindshare. Using one medium to play off the message seen in another is the mechanism for accomplishing this. The thing about the mobile channel is that this is a direct and personal connection to the buyer. So how best can you put this factor into play when you are considering your mix?
From a corporate perspective, we are actively looking for ways to provide value for customers. To maintain the viral growth pattern we are enjoying with buyers, we have to get past the initial "cool" factor and provide value to buyers (like the CARFAX reports) that keep them interested in Gumiyo as a personally valuable and trusted service.

From a personal perspective, and no offense to any one on this forum, but I typically don't want to engage with a salesperson until I am really ready to buy. This is what the Gumiyo service offers me and I don't think I'm too far from a lot of people in feeling this way. I typically don't enjoy the experience of being "pitched." The whole idea of seeing a Go Code on a window label gives me a chance to do a "hit" and "run" viewing of the lot. I would hope that the salesperson who see's someone like me using my cell phone will just politely ask me if he/she could help me once, maybe give me a business card and let me go on. Hey, that's just me and I am kinda shy ... sort of.
HI Joe,

You nailed that front line sales element of Gumiyo but the mobile channel offers connectivity before and after the sale with linked updates and contacts that used to have to wait until they got home to their PC. Service sells cars and customer service sells it all. Could you share some "best practices" regarding customer contact and follow up that is now limited to the internet that will be available on the mobile phone via Gumiyo. I know a few but Shuki, Rich and you are the "GURU's" in the mobile channel.
i guess it's my turn to add my two cents....

becoming mobile allows for many factors depending on the use of the mobile application or the solution that is being utilized. what is important for dealers, IMHO, is the ever decreasing bottom line and the ever challenging task to attract and retain customers or to sell and service more vehicles.

Mobile technology, when used efficiently can in fact can replace many of the processes (thus improving bottom lines), be effectively eliminating many of the undaunted tasks (data entry/inventory control) and in turn making people more productive oh yeah and BTW, it may save a tree or two...no im not a tree hugger!

- reduced inventory costs - can sell a vehicle anywhere; can sell a vehicle before it lands
- improved data accuracy and integrity
- create accountability
- reduce overheads
- streamline processes and protocols
- mobile workflows
- and so on...

take our solution for instance, we provide dealers, remarketers, etc. an effective and efficient way to merchandise and inspect their inventory basically by the click of a button. In essence I can conduct a complete audit of my inventory in a matter on minutes (depending on #;s) rather than days in an ACCURATE and CONSISTENT manner.

So actually, I have now just completed by inventory control, have uploaded to my website and web lead providers (hint hint) by the click of a button and no one had to duplicate my efforts by retyping the data in or rename any photos or read my chicken scratch or tag photos to stock number or ...i'm sure you get the idea. Now by completing this task i have so much free time to focus on the huddle and talk about my golf game.

For all you CRM vendors (hint hint), combining the two technologies will allow a SC to become mobile (provided the are the responsible type) and could actually sell cars anywhere in the world and allows the practice those well engrainged CRM habits.

Technology, no matter what shape or form has never sold cars - People Do! technology is the enabler or the elixir to get jobs done more effectively. Whether it is a rock and chisel or the latest PC, technology is in place to make our lives easier. The bells and whistles are great but what is it going to do for me in the long run and will my team use it effectively?

Does mobile tehnology work? absolutely. the benefits out weigh the risks
Hi Clint,

Kindred spirits should research more shared opportunities. I would be happy to research linked applications with Gumiyo for your clients as an added value for both of you. Just visit www.autoadcreative.com tomorrow while Shuki and Rich are on our blog radio show - 12:30 PM - and I will personally walk you through the process while we are all on air! After all, what are friends for!
Hype or a necessity?

Mostly hype for now and maybe never a necessity. As all phones become smart phones (like the iphone) and have full browser capabilities, will there be a need for mobile sites?

You need to be in the right market in order for a mobile website to have any ROI and even then, it could be difficult to get a dealer to see any real need for it. Most dealers can't handle nor properly market the website they have, so adding mobile site into the equation, well need I say more?!

I think the decision factors would be all that you mentioned, but at the end of the day, since there are currently no statistics as to whether or not a mobile site is going to work for your business or dealer, the price that you pay for the site would be the determining factor. Although, a mobile website should not cost much at all to do and are very simplistic. If I were a website vendor I would through it in the package as a 1up.

If you can devise a way of tying in your existing dealer website in with your mobile site...then you might have something, for awhile at least! ;)
Hi Jeff,

I AGREE - that's why Gumiyo dosen't set up a web site. They simply direct the inventory and offers from your current internet site to a cell phone now - not tomorrow. Gumiyo links data that already exists. I think you answered your point with your last senetence: "If you can devise a way of tying in your existing website in with your mobile site ... then you might have something, for a while at least"" GREAT - THAT'S WHAT GUMIYO DOES FOR $150 a month - NO SITE SET UP FEES!! Just go to www.autoadcreative.com and click their logo and we will HOOK YOU UP!
Jeff,

I will start with your last comment: “If you can devise a way of tying in your existing dealer website in with your mobile site...then you might have something, for awhile at least! ;)”. Thank you for putting it so clearly! This is our mission exactly! We strive to bring the dealer website and inventory onto mobile devices.

Thanks for replying, you have touched on a few key points and I here are a couple of comments:
1) The iPhone represents the (somewhat refreshing) emergence of better web browsers on mobile phones. Unfortunately, these browsers will never catch up with PC based browsers and PC related technologies (AJAX, rich gadgets etc) will not be supported. Which leaves the dealer with one of two options:
a. Design one web site that fits all technologies, i.e. punish the web user with a lean experience.
b. Maintain two websites, doubling the cost of managing and promoting your existence
As you can see, both options are less then desirable and this is exactly where tools like ours come to the rescue . We integrate with your existing web and printed efforts to create a mobile entity. We handle the adaptation to the (latest) mobile technology and bring the dealer’s inventory on mobile phone.
2) Having a mobile site is more than just having your existing website available on mobile devices. The experience and flow of surfing from a PC web site is different than when browsing on a mobile phone. Some of which are:
a. The PC screen is larger and may accommodate a larger set of data.
b. The connection speed on a PC is faster and the page size can be larger than on a mobile device.
c. You have a full, comfortable keyboard when in front of a PC so typing a few more fields/ words is not a big issue.
d. Think of when (during your day) will you be surfing from a PC and when from a phone, these are different situation
Therefore, to create a web experience that is comfortable and useful for users (buyers or sellers) you need to design a different flow on PC and on a mobile device. Having your web flow shown on a mobile device might not be the most suitable solution.

Shuki
Many dealer's website have a flash intro or even a mostly flash website. (BZ, Cobalt, Dealerskins) My iphone does not see flash. I cannot get past the home page with all the little cubes for each flash section or I get sent to the flash download page. So much for browsing THAT dealer's inventory.

RSS

Automotive Professional Network and Resource Exchange for Car Dealers, Managers, OEM and Marketing Practitioners seeking Best Practices.

ADM Sponsor

Please Consider Automotive Marketing Professional Community Sponsors

ADM Badge

Loading…

Based On Your Interests...

ADM Consulting, LLC

Onsite/Offsite Combination ADM Consulting, LLC Professional Services
Select the maximum monthly investment you plan to make
$USD

Automotive Marketing Tools

Get ADM Toolbar

Click here to take the ADM Member Survey

Getting too many emails from ADM? Click mailbox below to control which types of alerts and updates you are sent......

Instagram

Top Automotive Marketing Forum Discussions

1. Electric Vehicle is the Future

Posted by Dwayne Jhonson on August 29, 2019

2. Email marketing

Posted by Andrew Qrueed on August 26, 2019

4. 5 Ideas for car dealers FB page

Posted by Kevin Lewis on August 6, 2019

Share the Best Content w/AutoMarketing Community

© 2019   Created by Ralph Paglia.   Powered by

ADM Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service